DIR Knife/cutting tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is the DIR recommendation for a knife or cutting tool?

Shears?

That E-Z cut trilobite?

Knife?

Also specific recommendations as to brands or models would be great.

This will be for ocean diving with some wrecks and maybe kelp. The hazards primarily fishing line, anchor ropes, maybe nets and possibly kelp. Don't anticipate much wire hazard.

Thanks!

Most "DIR" divers I know carry at least a single steak knife (tip broken off and filed down). These are extremely sharp and cheap. It's usually carried on the waist strap in a fabric sheath. When wreck diving, I'll also carry a pair of EMT shears in my drysuit pocket. The knife works wonders on rope, string, and fishing line, but it's useless on wire leader, which the shears cut right through. The Trilobite looks like it could also be a nice addition, though, I think shears and a knife cover you quite well.

Small, simple knife with a blunt tip is the DIR standard. If you need something else (like shears, which I feel to be a reasonable addition), a thigh pocket is a good place for them. Get something that's high quality so it won't rust.

One thing I've heard, (but I can't recall where now), is that while the blades of the shears may be a top-quality stainless steel, the little rivet holding them together often isn't, and since that's the main pivot point where all the pressure is, it can weaken over time, and sometimes fail when you don't want it to.

I've heard of guys drilling it out and replacing it with a small SS bolt and nut, loc-tited, or a higher-quality SS rivet.

Wrist worn cutters are becoming very popular now and a sensible addition if you asked me. Personally i carry a waist banded steak knife and have shears in my right pocket. I am considering something on my wrist.

After some interneting and forum chat i fancy the benchmade rescue hooks. Kinda like the eezy thing but no plastic in sight which appeals more. Extremely sharp and can be wrist mounted i think.

Knife: DirDirect :: ALL AGIR-BROKK KIT :: Agir-Brokk Accessories :: Agir-Brokk Knife

ShearsShears

Rescue hook: 7 Hook/ Safety Cutter | Benchmade

I've had rivets rust out on me. I try to rinse them well and ditch them at the first sign of rust. $3.50 every couple months doesn't kill me, and you can keep them around for non-diving purposes. Expensive cutting devices scare me.

Wrist worn cutters are becoming very popular now and a sensible addition if you asked me. Personally i carry a waist banded steak knife and have shears in my right pocket. I am considering something on my wrist.

After some interneting and forum chat i fancy the benchmade rescue hooks. Kinda like the eezy thing but no plastic in sight which appeals more. Extremely sharp and can be wrist mounted i think.

Knife: DirDirect :: ALL AGIR-BROKK KIT :: Agir-Brokk Accessories :: Agir-Brokk Knife

ShearsShears

Rescue hook: 7 Hook/ Safety Cutter | Benchmade

If you want a cutting tool up front, I wouldn't go with a wrist mounted option. I have a small Tekna knife on all my goodman handles that is completely out of the way until needed.

goodman_knife_r.jpeg

If you want a cutting tool up front, I wouldn't go with a wrist mounted option. I have a small Tekna knife on all my goodman handles that is completely out of the way until needed.

goodman_knife_r.jpeg

One of my teammates does the same thing, but he has his mounted on the underside of the handle. Does inside or outside matter? I figure overall thickness is the same.

I considered outside, but its more prone to rotating out (esp if its clipped off). On the inside, it never rotates out at all. Also, the metal of the handle serves as one more thing to stop it from self-deploying (aka losing the knife part).

Ive been using stainless steel plastic handled victorinox steak knives with the serrated edge. Tip broken off and rounded. They've been holding up quite well so far and are really sharp. Shears in pocket are probably a good idea as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom