Taking Fundies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1011

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I finally found a fundies instructor out here at the end of the earth. I'm very excited to take it, I am looking forward to see what it will do for my trim and neutral buoyancy. I'm going to take it with single steel vice doubles because I teach in single steel and I want to learn technique as much as I want to lay a foundation for technical diving. Any thoughts or advice is/are appreciated!

Michael

So I finally found a fundies instructor out here at the end of the earth. I'm very excited to take it, I am looking forward to see what it will do for my trim and neutral buoyancy. I'm going to take it with single steel vice doubles because I teach in single steel and I want to learn technique as much as I want to lay a foundation for technical diving. Any thoughts or advice is/are appreciated!

Speaking from experience, I will only advise you NOT to switch into a set of doubles at the beginning of the class if you're not used-to/very-comfortable diving them. Fundies is primarily about building a platform on which future training can build. Believe it or not, you may find that you make more progress on your platform by taking the class in singles. If you develop a really solid platform in singles, the transition to doubles in the future will be much easier (GUE offers a doubles course that specifically introduces the skills associated with them).

I rushed the transition and while I've since become very comfortable in my doubles, my fundies class would have been much more productive had I been diving a single tank.

Thanks Hepcat! That was more or less my reasoning behind wanting to stick with singles for now.

Michael

I think that's a superb decision. Take the class in gear you know; that way you can focus on the skills presented, and not struggle with unfamiliar equipment that may make your life more difficult.

As preparation, just practice trying to be still in the water -- and if you can do that, practice your basic skills (mask skills, regulator exchange) and see if you can maintain the stillness. That's the best skills base to take into Fundies.

With which instructor are you taking the class?

I'll be taking it from Jo H. here on Oahu. I only know of him by reputation, but a lot of people who's opinion I respect think very highly of him.

Michael

Good luck in the class! I took it about 6-7 weeks ago, and let me tell you, it has had a PROFOUND effect on my diving. Not just in the skills, but how I approach diving. I am a total convert.

I'm also a DM and soon-to-be instructor, (end of this month, fingers crossed), so I am able to directly influence new divers with some of the same ideas and methods. Feels good man.

Awesome.

Good call on the single too. Stable platform 1st no need to make life any harder on yourself.

I'll be taking it from Jo H. here on Oahu. I only know of him by reputation, but a lot of people who's opinion I respect think very highly of him.

Michael

Jo is an awesome guy!!! I'm sure you'll love the class & learn tons! Have fun!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom