cold salt water and sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phaust

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

i read a lot of you about sidemount, and i have not seen many post about side mounting in cold water (2-7 celsius water) .. by that i mean, drysuit, dry glove, Super Hi-Loft Polarwear, socks, etc.

here is my actual setup : Druitsuit Bare D6-pro, Super Hi-Loft Polarwear, dry glove, and a aqualung ProQD i3 for BCD. no need to say, it's not so easy to move, and need a lot of weight to go down ( 36-38lbs in salt water)

my need is to be able to move more easy, and now need 2 tank to be able to enjoy some spot, i was currently using 80al, 2 years ago, switched with a 130 and 100 steel tank, since my back doesnt support double, and acces to dive site can be rought.. i was thinking of using a nomad XT or EXP with 2 100 steely.

i would like to have some input about that considering a drysuit and a nomad that i will need to put 36lbs of weight ( well i didnt count the 100 steel tank yet)

any issues with weights pocket? the fact that there is a tank between your arm and weights pockets..

thanks a lot!

In about a month I should be able to address your question, once I return from Florida to Puget Sound.

My initial exposure to sidemount was diving with Curt Bowen in Port Hardy and Nootka Sound last year. He was in a drysuit, heavy undergarment, and using his Armadillo. He seemed able to handle it just fine. Seeing some obvious advantages to such an approach, I'm heading south for training, and then back north for "adaptation" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks! i saw the Armadillo BCD but i would like to have the hability to dive 1tank backmount(sorry i didnt mention it) it's why i prefer the nomad but if anybody can give me input on a choice of BCD is welcome!

I dive a whites fussion with limit edition skin and 2 set of underware in 39 water in the great lakes . Try useing a wt harness with supendars and chroch strap. This keeps pockets and suit in place and trim from moving.

The nice thing about the Nomad is you can purchase the weight plate and put most of that weight in it and keep it off your waist.

I've been diving a nomad for a couple of months now in lake ontario (dozen dives or so). I purchased the weight plate and currently have 14lbs in it. I use a whites fusion DS with a double layered polypro underwear + weazle extreme plus. Cylinders are hp100s.

This is worst case condition for me, but mobility isn't an issue. Of course things are going to get more comfortable as I start to shed layers to adapt to the warming water.

To be honest, I could probably remove a couple pounds out of the weight plate and be alright with my current thermal configuration. If I was going to dive in salt water, I could still add a couple more pounds to the weight plate and even another 4 to the shoulders, if I had to.

Andre

how can you add to the weight plate.Is there only 4 slots for weights or are you adding a extra weight plate?

how can you add to the weight plate.Is there only 4 slots for weights or are you adding a extra weight plate?

There are 4 pockets that will hold up to 4 pounds each. A 2nd weight plate could probably be added if needed.

Dive-aholic : the back weight pocket is probably the best place, but i have a concern if i can't remove them in case of emergency..

iv'e seen 2 diver with drysuit problem in my last 2 years.. the zipper go off and the water enter big time in the drysuit..

if water enter, i get more heavy.. if i can't drop weights i will have some big problem to go up.. well i can drop off a tank, but the dry suit and underwear need at least 10-12lbs of weights to put me down.. so.. i need to be able to drop 10-12lbs in case of problem with my drysuit.. ok it's not happening often but.. if it does.. i would like to be prepare ;-)

gathan: thanks for the info.. i seen the white fusion. nice drysuit and need less weight than a bare d6!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom