DiveRite QR weight pocket vs DUI trim harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am still struggling to find a way to carry weight. Weight belt hasn't been working comfortabley for me because I have smaller waist. I narrow my choice down to DR QR weight pocket or DUI harness.

The advantage of DR is cheaper, integrated into BP harness. When mounted vertically, it looks like it can hold my long jose in place. Overall, it seesm to be a cleaner setup overall. Disadvantage is it attached to BP, cannot be use on other setup if need. It cannot be move up or down either, so not as adjustable.

DUI harness on the other hand, it is more moduler, more adjustable. The only issue is it looks like it will prevent me from mounting anythign on my BP waist strap.

What do you guys think?

How much lead are you talking about and is plate steel or aluminum?

When I dive cold in my drysuit I use the Deluxe DUI weight belt. I can sling easily off my harness with the belt on. I like how it balances me and is easy to put on and adjust. I did add a buckle to the harness of the weight belt just below my suit inflator on my chest to keep the harness from slipping off my shoulder. At first I used a rope to tie it together then I had it stitched on when I got the right mark for comfort.
It was a great investment to my dive gear and as far as I feel not that expensive, just few less coffee for the month. Also I put 12 lbs in it.

I am still struggling to find a way to carry weight. Weight belt hasn't been working comfortabley for me because I have smaller waist. I narrow my choice down to DR QR weight pocket or DUI harness.

Go with the DUI harness. It's a lot more comfortable, especially with 16-lbs of lead. Besides, why can't you mount stuff to the waist belt while wearing the DUI suspender? At most you'd need a smallish pouch, right?

I think some mil-surp LC-1 suspenders https://www.gijoesmilitarysurplus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=474_621 coupled with a pistol belt US Alice LC-1 Vietnam OD Web Pistol Belt ************** | eBay would be much less expensive than that DUI rig. you could add the dive rite pockets to it and /or swap them back and forth from your BP/W harness.

She's diving for fun and not to trying to penetrate the Mekong River with the Navy SEAL north of the 17th Parallel DMZ.

What is the reason not to?

It's based on my own negative experience with trying to do this. I clipped weight pockets and storage pockets to the harness and never got a satisfactory result. The weights just don't belong there, and the pockets were constantly shifting in spite of plastic squeezers I was using to keep them in place.

I noticed the happiest people with the BP/wing were those who used a weight belt, and kept all the junk off the harness. If the weight belt does not work for you, I'd go for the DUI weight harness.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom