Diving Key Largo area need information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have been invited to stay at a friends house in Key Largo FL for a week the last week of June. He has a 28 foot pontoon boat that he takes out to snorkel on the reefs. My family and I are devoted scuba divers, but I have never dove the flroida area or off a pontoon boat. Need lots of information.

We have been invited to stay at a friends house in Key Largo FL for a week the last week of June. He has a 28 foot pontoon boat that he takes out to snorkel on the reefs. My family and I are devoted scuba divers, but I have never dove the flroida area or off a pontoon boat. Need lots of information.

Details on what information you're looking for would help. :idk:

dives sites, strong or mild current, basically everything

Will be diving there later in the month so can't comment of the dive sites, but would like to suggest that you check out Key Largo Scuba Shack (Key Largo Diving at its best, Scuba Diving, Dive Key Largo, John Pennekamp, Snorkel, Scuba Instruction, Affordable Diving, Scuba dive key largo, cheap, fun, free dive guide, Spiegel grove, duane, bibb and eagle). I choose to dive with them later this month because they were recommended by a large number of people and are known for their small groups of divers (6 max), instructor diving with the group on every dive, and their hot tub on site. They are a fairly new dive shop and are eager to please. (Also, I asked them tons of questions and they were happy to help.)

We will be diving with Key Largo Scuba shack as well in june and are very excited...
They have been excellent with answering all my questions.. etc... seem like they really aim to please..
Can't wait...

ok not looking for a dive shop to dive with. Our friend has a boat and we will be diving with him. I waqs just wondering what was the current like and what to expect at the dive sites.

If your friend is from the area he should be a little familiar with some of the dive/snorkel sites. If not I would suggest looking up several that you would like to do and hopefully the boat will have a GPS that will take you right to the spots. You can pick up reef maps at pretty much any place down here in the Keys.
Are you wanting to do more shallow spots so that you can dive while they snorkle? I would suggest a lot of spots on The Elbow, The City of Washington, Molasses Reef, French Reef, The Benwood, Key Largo Dry Rocks (Christ of the Abyss). All of those spots are 40ft and under. Also, since they are all located in the Park they are protected and have mooring balls to tie up to, NO anchoring. Usually, the currents are never strong on the shallow reefs unless we pick up some really crazy weather. The currents can sometimes pick up on some of the deeper dive spots like the Duane and the Bibb but not as much on the Spiegel. Key Largo is known for its great viz and warm water, usually in the mid to late 80s in June. The majority of the reefs are large coral heads laid out in a spur and groove reef system, "spurs" of coral and "groves" of sandy channels. Makes for easier navigating. All of the dive spots are full of life, the Benwood being known as a very fishy wreck. French Reef is know for having several "caves" which are actually some really nice swim throughs. Try checking out the Scuba Shack website, we have an intereactive map which will tell you a little bit about each dive site. Once you see where they are all located in relationship to each other you may be able to create a bit of a schedule. Fee free to contact with questions and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom