BC Demo Checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clpkab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A dive shop in the region is having a BC demo day tomorrow. I've registered to go so that I can learn/try something different then the jacket style I used in my initial class. (I've confirmed that they'll have some back inflate available to try...)

Beyond some of the basics (fit, lift, weight integration or not, etc.) what are other features, items would experienced divers recommend I keep in mind as I try them out:confused:

If your just diving vacation style "warm nice cozy water" get a travel bcd. You don't need much lift anyways. I would get one that weighs very little, has integrated weights, back inflate, folds up into a nice little package.

Look for pockets and D-rings, assuming you carry some equipment as a matter of course.

Fit and versatility are the main things I look for. I do not normally want integrated weights, more than 4 d rings, or pockets I can't use. If diving cold water look for one that does not have a great deal of padding that will add to your weighting requirements. Pockets on your suit are a much better option. And the less padding and extra buckles, releases, and straps the better.

When looking for a BC, if possible, try to visualize your diving a year or two down the road. Will you go into any tech courses? Will your diving be mostly local or involve travel? There are BC's than are a decent compromise but most are not. I advise my students to also take into consideration what buddies may be using. I have a list of things to consider when choosing and configuring equipment in my book. It is adapted from the recommendations made by Tom Mount from IANTD. It is all the things I consider when choosing most any piece of equipment and has not only made my choices smarter but saved me money and added to the safety of my configuration. Not enough time is spent in many OW classes going over why one should take this idea or that style into consideration. Many of the recommendations are based on what the shop carries and not always what is best for the diver.

The three most important items are fit, fit and fit.

The best way to test fit is to actually dive and verify that you don't have any problems with the BCD riding up while floating on the surface, nor does it move excessively as you do underwater acrobatics.

My general recommendation for new divers is that they rent and try out a variety of BCDs, and that they take careful not of the exact size and model of any BCs they use.

There is no substitute for actually diving with the BC.

Back
Top Bottom