night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mogwai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
just had my first night dive, absolutley amazing. Even got credit towards aow by doing nav skills. How different does underwater become in the dark. An amazing dive, can't wait to do it again. Anyone else had fun doing this and want to give me a couple of tips. Any ifno will be put to good use.

Yup, I love night diving. It's just plain cool. It sounds freaky to nondivers but they'll never know what they're missing.

Tips? Don't shine your light in a bannerfish's eyes. They get angry and they'll peck at you like a mother hen. :D

I would almost rather dive at night than during the day.

The variety of fish you see is very different.

Tips, small lights are good. A sudden bright light often frightens fish and they disappear. Use the edges of the light circle.

Warning: On my last Flower Gardens trip we were told that the Grey Snapper had learned to hunt using divers lights. When the light beam would hit a butterfly fish, there would be a blur and a poof of fin, flesh, and scales as the butterfly fish became chow.

I don't doubt this is a learned behavior and detrimental to reef ecology.

Don't shine your light in your buddy's eyes. It hurts, and it ruins night vision.

Have fun night diving.

TwoBit

Dived the river last night, flipped over on my back, turned off the light and stared up at the half moon shinning through the crystal water as I drifted gently down stream. I could even see mars.
So peaceful…

Got to admit, diving at night isa different sensation.

In the great lakes the night life is somewhat less active that it is during the day. However, it is a neat sensation to experience the environment at night. I like the comments about watching the moon through the water. I'll have to try it the next time I get a chance.

was really cool. Don't have those types of fish in Scotland that you guys mentioned but take the advice on board. You want to see the size of the lobster we saw, bloody huge, was great. Did enjoy the surface swim back to shore. Beautiful clear sky and millions of stars shining. Was brill, hope to be doing lots more of that. Diving rocks man, what a new world i have joined, have found something i knew i was missing but just never knew what it was until now.

Turned our light off about 12 metres down and waved our hands around. Whole place lit upwith phosperent particles, pitch black and all these little lights shining so brightly you could see your hand as you moved it. So good it is almost undescribable, but you know what i mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom