Purpose of long 2nd stage hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharing gas is much nicer when the divers can keep some distance between them. The long hose is required in an environment in which the divers must exit single file while sharing gas.

That confirms my uneducated assumption that it is specific to cave and wreck penetration diving with an emphasis on caves.

That confirms my uneducated assumption that it is specific to cave and wreck penetration diving with an emphasis on caves.

Not necessary at all. Even open water diver can benefit from long hose during air share.

Once you've air shared on a long hose, you'll never go back. It just turns a stressful emergency into a non-event. And it's definitely not just for caves. I've never been in a cave and have no desire to.

Agreed! Although the essence of recreational diving is that the surface is always an option, it is not always the BEST option, especially if one is diving in an area where there is boat traffic, or where the only good entry is a limited spot. In that case, if you have a diver low on or out of air, it is awfully pleasant to be able to share gas and swim comfortably, side by side, to a better place to end the dive.

your uneducated assumption would be wrong. you should go do some work researching why its wrong.

you should go do some work researching why its wrong.

Meh, why do any research to find out why, when its easier to fire off a question on scubaboard and summarily dismiss it as "only for cave divers." The explanation and reasoning is a link right next to the gen equipment link. Reminds me of the silly thread about "why dont dir divers use a computer." Not willing to spend 5 minutes to read an easily accessible website, then perhaps being proficient as a diver isnt your thing either--or maybe its just reading isnt your thing.

Meh, why do any research to find out why, when its easier to fire off a question on scubaboard and summarily dismiss it as "only for cave divers." The explanation and reasoning is a link right next to the gen equipment link. Reminds me of the silly thread about "why dont dir divers use a computer." Not willing to spend 5 minutes to read an easily accessible website, then perhaps being proficient as a diver isnt your thing either--or maybe its just reading isnt your thing.

No need to be insulting. The OP's assumption was not off the mark. While the long hose configuration is now widely used for open water diving (by those that use them that is), it was originally designed for air sharing in restricted environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom