Key Largo/Islamorada Dive Op Recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hul kogan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be back down in the Keys for another stint next month and I'm looking to hone in on a dive op. Normally when I'm down in the Keys I dive from a private vessel, but unfortunately, this time I'll be on my own. So that means I'll need to hook up with a dive op.

The only one I've ever dove with is Horizon Divers. They were good, but since I'll be by myself, I don't want to pay for a dive guide. From what I've heard with most of the ops, you're pretty much on your own once the boat is moored...? I know HD requires you to pay for a guide if you're by yourself. So, just looking for suggestions of dive ops that include a divemaster/guide with your trips.

I'll be staying right up the street from Conch Republic, but I'm not sure how they operate. Any insights on them or other suggestions would be great! Thanks all.

Last edited:
I dove Conch Republic last August and really enjoyed diving with them. Gary and Brenda are really nice people and try to meet your expectations. I would dive with them again for sure. Nice boats too! Hope that helps.

I have booked a dive with Key Dives in Islamorada for next week. The claim thier specialty is "guided dives." They have DM with every six divers. The AM dives are deep and the PM dives are shallow. Their URL is Key Dives Guided Scuba Diving in Islamorada in the Florida Keys. I can give you some better feedback when I return. By the way I dove with Horizon Divers last summer and paid for a DM guide.

Key Largo Scuba Shack has 6 pack boats and a DM in the water with every dive.
We will be diving with them in june... can't wait.
When will you be there ... you can join in with us..

@Broct: Does Conch send a DM or guide down without having to pay for one?

@MSltr: I'll have to check them out and I'd love to hear how it went when you get back. Have a good trip!

@LynnB: Thanks I'll have to look them up! Looks like I'm going to be there before you're down there, bummer. I always like meeting new divers.

@sportlxh: Thanks, I'll check it out.

@Broct: Does Conch send a DM or guide down without having to pay for one?

@MSltr: I'll have to check them out and I'd love to hear how it went when you get back. Have a good trip!

@LynnB: Thanks I'll have to look them up! Looks like I'm going to be there before you're down there, bummer. I always like meeting new divers.

@sportlxh: Thanks, I'll check it out.

too bad that would have been nice.. we will be down there june 18th if you are still there...

too bad that would have been nice.. we will be down there june 18th if you are still there...
Yep, looks like I'll miss you guys. Maybe we'll cross paths in the future! Have you dove with Key Largo Scuba Shack before, or will your upcoming trip be your first time diving with them? Looks like a nice op.

Also, MSltr...I just checked out Key Dives, I'm liking the look of that op. They hit a number of Islamorada sites, which are less traveled. Definitely interested to see how you like them.

I've just returned from a trip to Islamorada with Key Dives. I would highly recommend diving with them. I did four two-tank dives. Two were the afternoon shallow dives. The other two were the morning deep dives. All were led by a DM. This was especially helpful since my interest was photography. They (Dan and Jen) were quick to point out and ID the wildlife common to the reefs and return us to the boat with air to spare. The shallow dives included snorkelers and were less than 30 feet. The first dive of each of the two tank deep dives were 94 and 84 feet. The second dives were just under 50 feet each. Check the FL Key website for coupons for $69.00 for a two tank dive. The Hampton Inn is within walking distance. I stayed next door at Breezy Palms.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom