Diving and Rainy Days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanstaafl

Reaction score
Well here it is Sunday morning just before 7am local. I've just finished surfing around the board and drinking my coffee.

In a couple of minutes I'll throw my gear in the truck and head up to the lake for a knock around day of diving. You know the kind, nothing special planned just blow some bubbles and see what swims by.

Here's the kicker. I just realized it's raining and a quick check of the radar looks like it will be here most of the day. (no storms)

I'm headed out anyway, but I have a couple of extra prep steps to take. Dry bag and small dry box I would not normally mess with.

So here's the question: Do you go? What extra stuff or prep is required for your comfort? Or do you just call the day and stay in your chair?

Catch ya'll this evening..

wow , right in my neck of the woods! yes I go , if no thunderstorms are planned , we keep a dry box stowed on the boat for such weather , last time i did it (labor day weekend on beaver lake) i was pretty miserable , but i didnt have my suit yet , and the combination of cold rain , and warm air for some reason didnt mix well that day. got a 1 mil for topside events now , but its starting to not cut it under the lake due to the drop in temps. gonna have to buy that 7 mil to keep at it awhile longer this year.

If there is no threat of electrical stroms, I'd say go for it. I live in Miami and I often leave Miami headed for the Keys to dive dispite a threatening sky( to the bewilderment of my family).

You intended to get wet anyway, right? :)

Around Florida if you didn't go diving whenever there was a possibility of a storm you could not dive on any day from about May until roughly October.

??? what has rain got to do with whether or not its diving weather? - or am I missing something very basic
I didn't dive this weekend cos the winds were gusting 50 knots with lots of hail thrown horizontally. but vertical hail would have been just fine - course cos its now sunday night, the winds are dying down and the temperatures going up in time for Monday :( - one of the local sayings is that we get all 4 seasons in the space of the same afternoon

I agree with Genesis in that Florida diving
can involve an afternoon shower or two.
I would just make sure there was no
lightning (simple common sense), before
going in or would end the dive if I got caught
in a lightning storm.

Since I live in Vancouver I'd lead a pretty bland life (& probably gain 500 pouinds) if I didn't do anything the 9 months of a year that it rains for.
Rain? Makes me just want to put my drysuit on before I leave the house.

It never rains in southern California... well, almost never anyway.

Some of my best dives (for videotaping at least) have been during cloudy skies and rain. I went down with my HP120 oin the Dive Park one winter weekend and stayed down for 2 hr 46 m I think. I did notice a change in the lighting underwater and loved the low contrast and lack of sun flares under the kelp canopy.

When I cam,e up I discovered the Dive Park had emptied out due to a major wind/rain storm. My dive gear had blown across the parking lot. The video looked awesome when I got home. Now I look for overcast and even rainy days to dive.

Electrical storms are rarely an issue here though.

Dr. Bill

Tanstaafl once bubbled...

So here's the question: Do you go? What extra stuff or prep is required for your comfort? Or do you just call the day and stay in your chair?

Take an umbrella...

Seriously though, take some coffee, hot chocolate, etc. You lose heat while diving and it's heart to warm yourself up if you're standing around in rain between dives.

go inside, turn on the shower in the boat, and take a nice hot one. Aaaaaahhhhhh... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom