Canon S90 and ikelite case problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings friends,
The knob that controls the zoom on my S90 functions but very very easily slips past the button on the camera. Underwater it is a real problem to use.
Is this a normal complaint/problem or is it a problem with my case?

It seems to me there should be a stop that keeps the rubber tip at least on the button and doesn't allow it to slip past. I understand it doesn't have an auto return and that doesn't bother me but this makes it extremely hard to use.

thanks for your response,

DivingPreacher,

Depending on the camera design, the housing zoom control can be trickier to operate on some housings and not as user-friendly as your other housing controls. I always encourage shooters to zoom to the widest angle setting and move in on the subject whenever possible. This will usually result in better images and eliminate some of the frustration created by the finicky zoom control.

Regards,

So, if I understand correctly. You are saying this is a design problem with the Ikelite case for the Canon S90? The knob simply won't operate the zoom control properly?

I was considering placing a small washer under the plastic tip to lower it and cause it to better impact the zoom control on the camera.

Unfortunately in all my searching prior to my purchase I didn't find this out or I would not have bought the Ikelite case for the Canon S90.

DivingPreacher,

Depending on the camera design, the housing zoom control can be trickier to operate on some housings and not as user-friendly as your other housing controls. I always encourage shooters to zoom to the widest angle setting and move in on the subject whenever possible. This will usually result in better images and eliminate some of the frustration created by the finicky zoom control.

Regards,

Although the housing zoom control does not have a "stop" or return spring, it should operate the camera's zoom control properly. It sounds like a slight adjustment is needed.

Try loosening the zoom control knob set screw, move the knob up slightly on the control shaft, and then re-tighten. Make sure you stay on the control flat. This should allow the control shaft to lower slightly in the housing and better contact the camera zoom control.

If you still find that the housing control is not adequately contacting the camera, please send the housing to Ikelite Service for an adjustment.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom