Putting bungee on the backup reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterSail

Happy in Doubles
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all you experts!

I am well on my way to purchasing my first set of dive equipment. Halcyon Infinity, Scubapro MK25/G250V/S600, and SP Jet fins.:D

I am now working on the details of setting it all up.

I tried to put the "backup regulator" bungee on my SP S600, having found some nice black bungee cord in my local camping goods store.

The SP S600 has a reusable tie-wrap holding on the mouthpeice, and I found that I could not close it when the bungee was under it.

I was wondering if anyone was successful in doing this with just pushing a little harder, or if I should just replace it with a normal cheap wire-tie. The reason that it is even an issue, is that I worry that if I start replacing any parts it would void my warrenty.

Also, I was told to use a lighter to burn the ends of the string that I use to tie snap shackles on. I was wondering if I should do the same with the bungee that is sticking out on the other side of the knot. The rubber obviously would not unravel, but the woven cover does. I just don't know what a flame will do to the rubber.

And speaking of the string on the snap shackles, if anyone knows of a nice video on the web or series of pictures on the correct knot tying procedure, I would really appreciate the link.

Thanks!

Edited because this is SB, where we are not allowed to be pricks.

My entire post is redacted per my sense of propriety.

I gotta learn to be warm and fuzzy...

I use just a single loop on my bungee knots rather than the pictured double loop and it works fine with a little less bulk. Do burn the ends of the bungee after you make the final trim. And I prefer the simple zip tie over the Scubapro reusable mouthpiece clamp

Its fine to cut that stock mouthpiece clamp thing off and throw it away. Replace it with a zip tie. The bungee goes under that zip tie like you were trying to do, and I always pull it tight with some pliers. Burning the ends of the bungee is a good idea for a neat appearance since the sheath will fray and look gross over time.

The premade ones are often too long and don't hold the reg securely enough, and the method shown in the video is not as secure as the zip tie method.

I have used two methods, the knot tying and a second zip tie. I'd rather my mouthpiece stay secure and the bungee slip than both come loose.

I agree about the mouthpiece -- I use the fisherman's knot loop. Once in a VERY great while, the reg will come out (usually while putting gear together on the surface) but I have never lost a mouthpiece. I would suggest, if you are going to do it the other way, that you use two zipties -- one (which may be the original) to hold the mouthpiece, and a second one to retain the bungie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom