Brand new Ike D7000 uw-housing flooded!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fota

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought an Ikelite uw-housing for my D7000. Did a pool check, and it was OK. Did a one hour dive to 30m and it was OK. Did a second dive and at the end of the dive the housing flooded!!!

No, it was not my fault, it was the AE-L/AF-L control that leaked.
Yes, it was thoroughly rinsed after the first dive.

I use that control alot as is how you focus in LiveView (halfpress is impossible with thick dry gloves).

First of all, is this a known problem or was I just extremely unlucky?

I would consider this to be not only a major disaster, but a DOA (flooded on the second dive!).

Yes, I am pretty upset about it. Not only because of the simple fact that my brand new D7000 was flooded, but also because I am now missing the best part of the diving uw-photo season.

Living in Sweden, it takes time to send things to you (in the states) and back. How do you handle such an incident? Will you send it to repair, and then they will have a que and etc etc etc etc. Or, will you simply send me a new housing asap (a new camera would have been nice too ;-))?

BTW, this was my 6th Ikelite housing in a row (Oly 7070, Ni D200, Ni D300, Ni D300s, Ca S95, Ni D7000)!

Regards,
Peter

Fota,

We are very sorry to hear of your flood. Please send the housing directly to the Ikelite Service Department for an evaluation. Since you are seeking compensation for the damaged camera, please include it with the shipment.

Please send your equipment along with a brief letter of explanation or a copy of this thread, and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
Attn. Service Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.
Indpls., IN USA 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, email, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal service completion time is 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

Hi Brett,

It has already (earlier today) been sent to you (not sure if it was sent directly to repair or not) by the Swedish distributor.

I am not seeking compensation for the camera (note the smiley), but I am expecting a new uw-housing asap as the one I got clearly was defect. It's more or less brand new.

2-3 weeks is not acceptable in this situation (about 10 seconds is what it takes for anyone to see that it's leaking), and hey you have repaired my uw-housings sooo much faster than that previously.

Also, as I wrote above, is this a know problem with the D7000 housing (and other housings)? I mean with a leaking AE-L/AF-L control?

Regards,
Peter

Peter,

This is not a known problem. Once we evaluate the housing, we can determine and address the reason for the leak.

We will contact you as soon as the housing is evaluated.

Regards,

Personally, I use a Nimar housing and it's never failed me. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet.

I've heard good things about ikelite, I'm not trying talk bobo.

and here's a picture of Pipin, idk if you know him but he's a pretty awesome diver and uses nimar

Peter,

This is not a known problem. Once we evaluate the housing, we can determine and address the reason for the leak.

We will contact you as soon as the housing is evaluated.

Regards,

Two Months later I finally got my housing back repaired. As I bought it brand new and as it leaked on the second dive (and during my peak diving season), I can't say that I was very happy about all this.

It is a great housing, I like the improvements from previous models (I have had 6!), there are still plenty of room for even rather simple (but oh so useful) improvements and it has worked well (except from some glitches) now the month I have used it.

Thank you for the opportunity to address your housing failure. I am sorry for any delay in service you may have experienced. Service has been slightly delayed due to a number of employees on summer vacation leave with their children as well as our attempts to accommodate a number of emergency requests from customers leaving for dive trips on short notice.

We are doing our best to reduce our service interval back to our typical turnaround time of 2 weeks.

Kind Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Wow, that's a pretty LONG turn around time. One would have hoped they'd have just sent you a new housing while they addressed the issue with your original one. In any case, did Ikelite determine the failure to be their fault? If so, did they cover any/all replacement costs associated with the flood (body, lens, etc)?

Two Months later I finally got my housing back repaired. As I bought it brand new and as it leaked on the second dive (and during my peak diving season), I can't say that I was very happy about all this.

It is a great housing, I like the improvements from previous models (I have had 6!), there are still plenty of room for even rather simple (but oh so useful) improvements and it has worked well (except from some glitches) now the month I have used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom