Ikelite assembly and general question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rameus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey photographers out there!

Just got the Ikelite housing for my D90 - looks great! So far I could only take photos with my D90 above sealevel. I must say it looks a bit tricky to assemble, too or is it just until you have done it a few times?

At the moment I'm only happy to have a Nikon underwater rather than my Canon G10. Which was fine and I was lucky to take some nice shots with it.

Besides that it says that you should treat the o-rings with silicone before every dive. How do you handle that? Do you really do that? Since I had a G10 so far with an Ikelite-housing and just put some silicone on it every now and then (basically everytime before my first dive on a trip).

Thanks for any advice anyway :)

Thomas

What do you would like to assemble?
The ports need some force to get in place and you should grease them to help to slip in place.
Don't use rotary movements, simply press the port with the necessary force dowwards.
Once the port is in place, look carefully trough the housing to see that the o-ring is not bent or pinched.
You can see this as the o-ring should be visible as a black stripe with no lighter colored parts.

The o-ring from the back plate don't need to be greased every dive as he works on simple compression.

Remember to use only a minimum of grease, distribute it on your fingers and slip the o-ring trough them,
there should be no visible traces of grease on the o-ring except that he is nice black and shiny.

Depending on what lens you use you have to:
1° mount the camera on the back plate and close the housing without the lens and port
2° slip the corresponding zoom ring over the lens and slip the zoom gear over the zoom ring
3° lock the lens in place and fit the zoom gear in the groove where the gear is.
4° control that the zoom knob is moving freely the zoom gear/ring assembly and move the zoom.
5° install the port
6° check the seat of the port and back plate o-ring
7° Have fun....

Chris

Chris

Back
Top Bottom