Can you pass fundies at all on your first try?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
In the Common mistakes FAQ it states: Going into Fundies expecting a Tech pass.

As a diver that is striving to do GUE and go through the process I have some concerns. It seems that you get an amazing amount of info, and amazing training, and life long dive skills from the fundamentals class. Does anyone pass the class on the first try? Is it designed to take twice? I don't mean that in a mean/negative way, I just want to be clear. If I'm not qualified I understand that. I just haven't yet read anyone that passed on their first try. does it happen?

I know i have skills to work on, I am working on them. I am taking private lessons, I am practicing in the pools and in the open waters. I have begun educating myself and changing my gear to what I feel is the proper config ( it just so happens it is the GUE/DIR guidelines that I am adhering to.) Hoefully i don't come off as an @$$ I'm just trying to understand a bit more.

I got a Rec Pass first time through. I know a guy who got a Tech Pass first time through, though it's more rare. I think a decent diver with the right amount of work can get a Rec Pass first time. A Tech Pass would be harder, but not unheard of. Usually they are the ones diving in a well-established DIR/GUE team prior to taking Fundies and their mentors are highly experienced and able to pass that ability onto others.

I would forewarn though, about practicing too much prior to the class. I practiced some, but improper practice will ingrain bad habits and your Fundies instructor will have to work longer with you to undo those bad habits. It's better to be a solid diver, but more of a "blank slate" going into the class. Again, unless you have Tech1-2 or even GUE instructor-caliber mentors, I would refrain from excessive practice.

My current mentor is the aforementioned "Tech-pass-first-time-'go'" fellow, and he admits that he was the junior guy in his old crew, with his mentors being full of experience, and all of a sudden now, after moving here, (military PCS), he's the "senior guy" and he said it's "weird" mentoring myself and a few other GUE n00bs, since he feels like he's not ready to be the "senior guy with all the experience", being self-admittedly rather "green" himself.

As far as class, I fell in the middle of the practice prior thing, IE, I practiced, but not too much. Mostly watching videos and playing "monkey see, monkey do", but it was total crap in comparison to the actual proper instruction I got in the class.

Yes, people pass the first time through. The point of that FAQ, though, is that in general, passing just shouldn't be your primary goal. Especially for those with a local instructor, the best approach to the course is simply to come in with an open mind, focus on learning new skills, take in the instructor feedback and video reviews, strive to get better in class, then use all that to go off after class and practice in order to refine those skills, at which point you can set up an evaluation with the instructor. If you can push off worrying about "passing" until later (i.e. after the class), most will have a less stressful experience. Focusing on the learning experience and not the card makes the entire class a whole lot more fun. :)

Ditto on what was said...

In addition, getting goal oriented on the tech pass means that divers will often throw on doubles and a can light a few dives before the course -- which is another mistake -- and which has led to divers really struggling and burning out.

If you have to ask, you should probably go for a rec pass, or take a primer first to defuse the whole pass/fail issue entirely...

In 20/20 hindsight, Primer would have been a great first step. I have 2 great GUE instructor locally, but at the time no real contact to the GUE divers in my area.

Taking Primer would have allowed me insight into the basics of gear configuration, propulsion, buoyancy and trim. I could then have spent my practice time with team mates (we were 3 that agreed to take class together and did some practice before hand), working on the correct skills with much better feedback than we did.

If you can go into Fundies being able to hover without moving in decent trim, you're on the right track. If you have a back kick great, if not you'll learn how to work around it as a team - no problem.

I got a rec pass after a day of remedial diving and another eval dive.

Henrik

I got a tech pass on my first try...

Herman and Litehedded:

How many dives did you have under your belt when you did Fundies? How long had you been diving when you got your pass on first try?

And, for all those of you who passed first time around, who was your GUE inst???

Mine was pre- tech vs rec pass.

People often think they are way better than they are. If you go into the class with low expectations for yourself you will a) be more open and receptive to learning b) not goal/card oriented c) probably surprise yourself.

If you go in with lofty expectations and plans to take Tech1 26 dives after your Tech pass which you'll have by next Monday... Well that is not the best attitude for learning in the here and now. So you are likely to be disappointed and/or frustrated by having your weaknesses pointed out.

The whole point is to show you how to dive better so you can work on it. Whether you get the card or not is of much lesser importance. You can always provisional and get checked out within 6 months after you've had more time. That's the point of provisional, it takes a 4 days class and allows it to be up to 6 months of self study after being taught/shown the expectations.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom