Friday 13th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fox-Cousteau

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Friday 13th might be considered "unlucky" by some but for 8 Orlando divers and a "bubble-watcher" from the Lake Mary Scuba Club it was very "lucky"
The NOAA forecast was for 3-5 ft seas and 30% isolated thunderstorms out of Pompano Beach. :idk: The group agreed that we would check it out personally and then make a "go/no go" decision at the dock.

Arriving at 12 noon for a 1:30pm departure our first stop was the beach to check the conditions. What we saw was "flat" seas! :D

THE DIVES:
Loaded on 2 "six pack boats" we booked a "Wreck Trek" dive through Parrot Is. Scuba Adv.
Dive 1: The Sea Emperor - Air temp = 90f; Water temp at 74 fsw = 77f; vertical viz = 60+; Horiz. Viz = 70+; Surface current = minimal on the wreck apx 1 kt; Seas .5 - 1.5 with 8-10 sec intervals; notes: two mid-sized Goliath groupers look to be hanging out under the wreck:cool2: also a nice sized "shy" nurse shark.:wink: on the rubble pile I noticed a small Lion fish :depressed:

Dive 2: The Ancient Mariner - Air Temp, water temp, and seas the same, current same, VIZ, Vert. "Surface to Sand" 77+f, Horz apx 100f (the A. M. is 165 long and I could see bow to stern). :D Lots of bate fish (as usual) inside the wreck, several beautiful Angles, and spotted Drum (one of my favorite sites).

Commentary:
For those planning on diving the "Gold Coast", there are LOTS of good charters and captains. There are several good SCUBA stores in the area and many have their own favorites. Parrot Is. and Force E are two I recommend!:D

Dive Safe, Dive Often!!!

Turned out to be unlucky for me, although more amusing than disastrous! I had to dive out of a small skiff with a deep v-shaped hull and a ladder that only reached to the water's surface. Trying to crawl back in the boat and pull my gear back in resulted in a small rip in my wetsuit and potential danger to my wing and hoses, but when I tried to readjust the tank once inside to balance the boat... I ended up falling out of it backwards when a wave hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom