Olympus PEN EPL2 or XZ1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I remember talking to Jean/Ikelite at a dive show in 2009 and the PEN housing was to be out 1Q-2010. That has come and gone. I read over on wetpixel.com that there was more talk of this housing at the show in London. Can we please have the Ike housing now?

This XZ1 looks to be very similar (+compact) as the LX5. Maybe an Ike housing soon?

I'd really like to have the EPL2 in an Ikelite housing because I already have Ikelite strobes, tray, cords... The XZ1 also interested me because it was so compact and there have been some great images posted with it in the Oly housing. I've actually thought of getting a XZ1 and a Oly housing, but then I added up how much new FO strobes would cost + I like the nice colors of my Ike strobes. I'm planning a Bahamas trip in June and maybe another Coz trip in the fall. I'd love to have a new rig with me. I've been loyal to Ikelite because of the great service I've had in the past. I just wish there was a new housing for one of these great new Olympus cameras. Till then i guess I'll still be using the old 5050 with the absolutely horrendous shutter lag. More fish butts to come till I get a new camera/housing.

Last edited:
Joe, I know you already saw this, but for others that might find this thread.
Just posted by Ikelite at Press Releases

June 6, 2011

As the result of a number of unexpected delays, Ikelite has chosen to suspend the development of housings for current model mirror-less interchangeable lens cameras. Affected models include, but are not limited to:

Olympus PEN E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, E-PL1s
Panasonic GF-1, GF-2
Samsung NX100
Sony NEX-3, NEX-5
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Ikelite continues to develop new housings for other popular models of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Kodak, Panasonic and JVC cameras. We look forward to supporting you for your future lighting and photographic needs.

© Ikelite Underwater Systems

The Pany Underwater Housing for Panasonic Digital Camera looks similar to the ZX-1 me but I'm sure I'm missing something. Maybe I should go Pany??? I always thought the Oly had better glass. The lens on my 5050 is great for what it is, but shutter lag on the 5050 kills me. I'm not sure what to do. I'm taking the old 5050 to Bahamas in a week. I was really looking forward to taking a new rig down but I guess it was not meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom