Travel planning -> Truk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz_diver

New
Reaction score
Hi all!

New to the forum but have been diving for a few years now. I am yet to do any international dives, currently based in Perth, so me and some mates are planning a trip to Micronesia, most likely Truk.

What im trying to work out is does the bulk of travellers book their trip themselves or go through an agent or PADI? And flights wise I understand it's only the Gold Coast and Cairns that fly to Truk via Guam by Continental Airlines? Basically some help with random hints or travelling tips would be great!

Thanks for any help in advance.
Cheers
Dale

hi Dale : Yes all flights leave from Cairns to Guam, only Continental airlines flys in from australia i believe then you need to hop another flight to your micronesia destination,truk, yap palau . A group of us dived Truk 2010, booked via Dive Adventures in NSW.
Go through a dive co they can advise best time deal etc, can do all bookings for you. marry up flights, accomodation diving etc.

Planes leave Cairns at midnight gets to Guam early 4 hr or so flight, wait around in Guam airport for next flight to Truk it was few hours after landing.

Stayed at Blue Lagoon and dived with their on site dive shop. Diving wrecks in gin clear water was great, all penetration dives of some desciption, very easy, no currents at all. All dives are easy, boats tie up to shipfall in and there the boat is it is just below you.

Resort cheap food was good but delivery of food after ordering was painfully slow, they did not have much in the way of stores as a lot of food could not be made due to shortage of supplies.
Alcohol was plentiful and cheap, they had Australian brands of beer and wines and various other spirits.

Hotel accom was basic but relaxed.

Au $ vs US $ at an all time high. do it

Cheers

Graham

I have been to Chuuk 5 times now, heading there again in mid-October for almost 3 weeks. Staying at Blue Lagoon. It is best to book via a dive travel company as you will not get airfares cheaper on the net nor the accommodation or diving (from my experience). You will need to book your own flights to and from Cairns as this is the cheapest way.

If you want more information on Chuuk, have a look at my web site http://www.michaemcfadyenscuba.info and select Overseas and then Chuuk. Articles on most of the wrecks as well as general information.

Hi, I've been to Truk and Blue Lagoon is not bad its not luxury but everything you need. NOt much of a town. Another option is a liveaboard, either the Odyssey Scuba Diving Truk Lagoon Aboard Odyssey. The best way to explore Truk Lagoon in Micronesia or Thorfin Thorfinn | Liveaboard Dive Ship SS Thorfinn In Truck Lagoon Micronesia the Odyssey is more luxury and the Thorhin economy for the money difference I liked the Thorfin just fine the staff was great and food was good as well. More than likely you will overnight in Blue Lagoon for the fligt schedules.

here is a link to my website I have a short video of the wreck footage when i was there last May www.fishtalesproductions.com

I'm also scuba travel agent and can help you with your travels, just email me or PM i'd be glad to help with either land or liveaboard. In the previous post it would be best to book your flight on your own but i can give you the flight itinerary and help guide you. I can arrange the rest for you, just let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom