Combining DIR and Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisediver69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently utilize a DIR gear setup for all of my diving. I am in the process of upgrading from a simple P&S camera to a full size (D90\Ikelite Housing\DS161 Strobe). I would appreciate any advice or tips from other DIR divers who are also photographers on how best to manage this rig. Assume I have enough dives in my DIR gear to control my position in the water column as desired.

Thanks gsk3! I had done a search on here but hadn't even thought about using google. Looks like a decent thread on direxplorers.com but it seems like there isn't any consensus on what makes the most sense. Basically you have 5 drings, pick one or more and use them. I was hoping someone who runs stages, uses a scooter, etc had already been through this and could provide the guidance and reasoning behind their approach.

While not a DIR diver, Mo2vation uses a good size camera rig while using scooters and stages. His rig and training are along DIR lines. From what I recall he keeps the camera on the backs of his legs while scootering but I don't recall where it is clipped off.

Oh and he is the man (IMO) to talk to about training buddies as models and assistants.

If you really want some high-end feedback, you might consider asking this on the GUE forum. Although folks like David Rhea either don't read there or don't post, people who have dived with him do.

Try not to concern yourself with not utilising Google
you were operating in a diminished, unsafe capacity.

Yours.
The lack of thought police.

He has taken some awesome photos! I put in a PM to him. In his discussions of the Nikon D7000 he shows his clip off setup. Looks like he has a single point attachment which connects into the same d-ring as his spg. I would have thought this would have caused his camera to flap around and bang into the tanks but it appears that it is working for him even when using a scooter. Hopefully he will respond to my PM and provide me some words of wisdom :)

While not a DIR diver, Mo2vation uses a good size camera rig while using scooters and stages. His rig and training are along DIR lines. From what I recall he keeps the camera on the backs of his legs while scootering but I don't recall where it is clipped off.

Oh and he is the man (IMO) to talk to about training buddies as models and assistants.

It doesn't look like a very heavily used forum but i will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you really want some high-end feedback, you might consider asking this on the GUE forum. Although folks like David Rhea either don't read there or don't post, people who have dived with him do.

I dive a DIR configuration with an Ikelite housing and dual Ikelite strobes. On each of my Ikelite tray extender arms, just below the ball joint, I used nylon rope and made a small loop. Each of these loops provide me a place to clip a double ender. Typically, I clip off my camera rig to my left shoulder d-ring using one of the nylon rope loops. Due to the camera rig being negatively buoyant, the camera rig will just dangle from the d-ring. I have no problem swimming in this position and this is how I clip off my camera most of the time.

However, if I am swimming just above a reef or sand (i.e. the camera rig might drag in the sand or on the reef), if there is a possible entanglement hazard (i.e. lots of kelp) or if I have a challenging surf entry or exit, I will clip the other end of my camera rig to my waist d-ring. This way, the rig is secured by two points to my harness, is now parallel with my body and unable to freely move about.

If I am diving my Sierra scooter, I would not bring this camera rig. I have not figured out any way that I could effectively scooter while operating a camera rig that requires two hands. Instead, I mount a small point and shoot camera on my scooter.

That makes a lot of sense! I'm going to have to give this a try. I exchanged emails with my fundies instructor he mentioned that when riding the scooter they clip it off to the butt d-ring. I don't know how you do that without beating your camera up but he certainly has a lot more experience than I do in these kinds of things. I guess half the fun will be trying to figure this stuff out and the other half trying to figure out how to use all those buttons underwater :)

I dive a DIR configuration with an Ikelite housing and dual Ikelite strobes. On each of my Ikelite tray extender arms, just below the ball joint, I used nylon rope and made a small loop. Each of these loops provide me a place to clip a double ender. Typically, I clip off my camera rig to my left shoulder d-ring using one of the nylon rope loops. Due to the camera rig being negatively buoyant, the camera rig will just dangle from the d-ring. I have no problem swimming in this position and this is how I clip off my camera most of the time.

However, if I am swimming just above a reef or sand (i.e. the camera rig might drag in the sand or on the reef), if there is a possible entanglement hazard (i.e. lots of kelp) or if I have a challenging surf entry or exit, I will clip the other end of my camera rig to my waist d-ring. This way, the rig is secured by two points to my harness, is now parallel with my body and unable to freely move about.

If I am diving my Sierra scooter, I would not bring this camera rig. I have not figured out any way that I could effectively scooter while operating a camera rig that requires two hands. Instead, I mount a small point and shoot camera on my scooter.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom