F-1 Fins...need booties for proper fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howler93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a fairly new diver, and I just got a pair of f-1 fins (regular size). All of my diving is in warm water, and I don't normally wear any booties. With the size of the footbox on these fins, I've got a fair amount of play in them. I've set the springs to a good length, but I feel like there probably shouldn't be any wiggle laterally, right? Also, because they are negatively buoyant, I was thinking a pair of warm water booties might be in order to 1) snug up the fit, and 2) to offset the negative buoyancy some. Is my thinking right on this? :idk: Any recommendations for booties?

Thanks in advance,
Howler :D

Makes sense to me. You may find that using booties helps prevent blisters and allows you better walking on shore dives.

Just find some with decent soles and good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone dived with the f-1 fin without booties using just a shortie, or maybe a 4/3 full wetsuit? If so, did you have trim issues? Did you have too much slop in your fins due to the large footbox?

Lastly, any bootie suggestions? As fisheater said, I'll look for some with a good sole...

Thanks, folks! :D

Hey Howler93!
I just bought the same fins... and Im a bit worried about the size as my feet are small :)
could you give me a favor, measuring the minimum length the boots has to be, to be maintained in the springs? how many centimeters/inches from the spring strap to the end of the foot pocket?
It would really help me :) thousand thanks in advance, if you can do that for me!!!

chloevillaume,

I'd be happy to help you out if I could, but...I don't have any boots yet I'm afraid. I think, from all the digging around I've done, that I'm gonna need to get some booties so these fins will snug up a little. If you've got small feet, set your springs to the smallest setting, get some think booties, and you should be ok? Wish I could help more!

Howler :coffee:

That fin has a huge footpocket to aid in getting your foot in and out of it. It also allows for larger drysuit boots. I can't imagine it being comfortable wearing that fin without any boots. If you go with a hard sole boot, you will be able to fill more of the footpocket vs. a soft sole bootie.

I actually just recieved my F1's and booties today that I ordered from DRIS (^^ Thanks Mike!!!!). I can't even imagine them being remotely useful without a hardsole bootie, the foot pocket is HUGE with barefeet. I got the Seasoft Sunray boots, and they fit these fins like a glove (size 12 boot, XXL fin). With the straps adjusted to the tighter setting, there is no wiggle at all - feels like an extension of my leg. I can't wait to try these out at the Invasion! Compared to my UDT 'duckfeet' fins, these things are BEAST!! I couldn't be happier right now!

Thanks for the tips, folks! I'm ordering a pair of hard-soled booties, and I can't wait to try the f-1's out in the water asap!

Happy Divin' Y'all!
Howler :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom