Rubber bands for AL40 deco bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking for a good size rubber bands for securing the LP hose on a deco rig.

We bought a bunch of small and large rubber bands from Seattle Marine (seems like they're cut from inner tubes), thinking they would be good for AL40 and AL80 tanks, but L is too big even for the AL80 and both SM IS too big for the AL40 but a pretty good fit on the 80.

Other than the High $$ (relatively :)) poly-something bands, any suggestions for a cheap source: MC inner tube (size?) or some such.

I found some old posts, in one of which Uncle Pug mentioned rubber bands from SeMar, but there is no size listed on the site.

Thanks,

Henrik

Henrik, I use flat bungies. I cut them to size, then zip tie together, leaving a loop to grab them to make it easier to stow the hose. Cheap and easy.

Attachments

• 2011-05-15_20-42-31_898.jpg
    2011-05-15_20-42-31_898.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 413
I use a 13cf pony recreationally for medium type depths and when I first set it up I used the shock cord
type bungies but it didn't seem real secure so I started my search for the perfect inner tube size.
I first tried a beach cruiser bike tube which I thought might work but it was to small. I ended up with a
motorcycle tube which was just right. My 13cf is only 4.25 diameter so probably a different tube would
be required for a 40cf. I ended up ordering a 5.10 - 16 tube which actually measured out to 5 inches
flattened out and when I made a circle out of it and measured the cross-section it measured 3.25 inches.

I think I paid $4 for my poly whatever ones from NESS. It's a big wide one that I cut in two and it's about the right size. A bit tight when stretched over the tank + fuel hose + LP hose, but I expect it'll loosen a little as it moves forward.

I found a wheelbarrow innertube at the store awhile back that is OK for an AL30 or AL40 sized bottle.

Before that I was using some bungees I picked up at harbor freight. They are some kind of bungee loops with a plastic ball at the end(where the knot is) for securing tarps or something... You can undo the knot on those bungees and adjust the length as necessary. The plastic ball at the end helps to give you something to grab onto when stowing your LP hose.

The downside of the round bungee in my opinion is that it tends to slide up and down the tank a bit more than a decent rubber innertube. One of these days I will make it down to one of the local tire shops and get some decent innertubes that fit all my stages...

I think Dive-Rite makes bands especially for this purpose.

Would a latex tourniquet meet your needs?

I got ahold of trailer tire innertubes from a hardware store. The largest size of trailer tire makes perfect rubber bands for AL40's. If you can find a tire shop, and can get used car tire innertubes from them usually for nothing. This is where i get the bands for AL 80's. The other option is if you go to a hardware store somtimes you can find what i think are called "loop bungees" they look kind of like a tank banger, but come in different sizes and work great as they have a little plastic ball to grab to help with re-stowing hoses.

Thanks guys, those are all great suggestions. I'll have to scour the neighborhood and see what is available of those options. Hmmm, maybe the dirt bike that's parked down the street ... :wink: JK

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom