question on the fundies swim test....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rivers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have been working my ass off to be able to swim the required 300 yards/275 metres in the allotted time (I didn't really know how to swim, took some lessons, etc) for the fundies swim test, and I can finally do it. But, for the swim test, is one allowed to wear swimming goggles? Or is it a no goggles/bare face type of swim?

Thanks

So I have been working my ass off to be able to swim the required 300 yards/275 metres in the allotted time (I didn't really know how to swim, took some lessons, etc) for the fundies swim test, and I can finally do it. But, for the swim test, is one allowed to wear swimming goggles? Or is it a no goggles/bare face type of swim?

Thanks

Not to worry. I was in very mediocre shape in 2009 and completed under 8 mins using a modified back stroke/doggie paddle motion, which I may have invented. :D

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what is the distance / time requirement?

Thanks.

300 yards/275 metres in 14 minutes. i think i managed about 10 with my newly learned front crawl and made up backstroke

OP- congrats on getting your swimming in shape. I know that my comfort on SCUBA improved when I worked on my swimming and fitness. Hopefully you'll notice a difference too.

Out of curiosity, what is the distance / time requirement?

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers
Requirement #2 Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in under fourteen minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.
Requirement #3 Must be able to swim a distance of at least 16 yards/15 meters on a breath hold.

OP- congrats on getting your swimming in shape. I know that my comfort on SCUBA improved when I worked on my swimming and fitness. Hopefully you'll notice a difference too.

GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers
Requirement #2 Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in under fourteen minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection.
Requirement #3 Must be able to swim a distance of at least 16 yards/15 meters on a breath hold.

Thanks.

So I have been working my ass off to be able to swim the required 300 yards/275 metres in the allotted time (I didn't really know how to swim, took some lessons, etc) for the fundies swim test, and I can finally do it.

Congrats! Great job!

300 yards/275 metres in 14 minutes. i think i managed about 10 with my newly learned front crawl and made up backstroke

Unless there is a recent change in policy, it's my understanding and experience that instructor's can and do increase the swim requirement. It's best to check directly with your instructor to find out what is expected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom