Drinking the coolaid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfyrasng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now that I'm finally in a position to start diving again, I want to go the DIR route, but need some advice in choosing a bp/wing. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" and 280lbs, and using an AL80 with a 3-5 mil wet suit for the time being. However, I'm really unsure as to what wing to be looking into. I'm thinking a donut would be much more manageable than the u/horse shoe shaped wings. I'll also be looking to upgrade my regs before too long, and have been thinking about HOG as they seems to be pretty reasonable price wise and I like the fact that you can be trained to service them yourselves (unless I'm mistake on the brands). What do you guys think? I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Are you going the DIR route as in pursuing training with GUE/UTD/etc., or are you going the Hogarthian route as in going to have your equipment configured a certain way?

I personally like the donut-shaped Halcyon or DSS wings.

DIR is the plan. Having a military background, I can really appreciate a structured organization. I've been very interested for the last few years, but finances and timing just hasn't been right. How much lift should I be looking for in a single tank wing?

Good advice on DSS or Halcyon. I personally don't think the difference between donut and horseshoe wings matters that much, others strongly prefer donut wings. Wing size will make a bigger difference, read through this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

There is a lot of information on HOG regs here, but searching for "HOG" doesn't turn up anything. Here's one thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/330401-hog-regs.html

You'll have to dig around for more info. but it's around. I wish the search feature would hit on 3 letter words.

-Mitch

Now that I'm finally in a position to start diving again, I want to go the DIR route, but need some advice in choosing a bp/wing. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" and 280lbs, and using an AL80 with a 3-5 mil wet suit for the time being. However, I'm really unsure as to what wing to be looking into. I'm thinking a donut would be much more manageable than the u/horse shoe shaped wings. I'll also be looking to upgrade my regs before too long, and have been thinking about HOG as they seems to be pretty reasonable price wise and I like the fact that you can be trained to service them yourselves (unless I'm mistake on the brands). What do you guys think? I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Everything you need to know: Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I'm Hogarthian not DIR, but don't overlook a Dive Rite Nomad wing http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/retired/bc2083, allows me to backmount doubles while sidemounting travel bottles. Works just as well without the sidemounts also. Very slick wing. However, I replaced the inflator/dump part with ScubaPro's part because I like to know what I'm pressing in the dark (by the feel of distinctively different shaped "buttons"). You can get a read if this is DIR compliant by posting a question in the DIR forum. I'm guessing that it is, but check first.

I like my donut better than my horseshoe wing. It just seems to vent a bit easier.

Have you found the DIR forum yet? DIR. It's a great place to seek advice about DIR equipment.

Tobin has some cogent arguments as to why the extra money for a doughnut wing is not well spent -- and he MAKES doughnut wings, so he has nothing to gain from turning people away from them. I have only dived doughnuts a few times, and have perceived no difference.

The Nomad wing is too large for the OPs application, and is designed to be tabbed down. That's not compatible with a Hogarthian setup.

With a 3 mil suit and Al80, you will not need more than 30 lbs of lift (and probably don't need all of that). There are a bunch of good designs out there -- I'm a DSS fan, because Tobin will walk you carefully through your requirements to be sure you get the rig that will work for your application. But Halcyon, Apeks and HOG are good rigs. I would recommend against Oxycheq, despite the fact that a lot of people like them, simply because customer service is not their strong suit.

I have HOG regs -- we are gradually switching our entire collection to them. They breathe well and we have had no problems with them. You have to have some technical training to take the reg tech class, as I understand things.

DIR is the plan. Having a military background, I can really appreciate a structured organization. I've been very interested for the last few years, but finances and timing just hasn't been right. How much lift should I be looking for in a single tank wing?

As Lynne noted, 30lbs is more than enough for most single tank diving. If you're diving cold waters with big steel singles, you'll want a 40lbs. But if you need a big steel single you should probably just get doubles (unless you're doing shore dives).

Thanks for all the replies guys. I actually meant to post in the DIR section last night, but I guess I was more tired than I realized. I feel like I've got a really good starting point now.

I like my Oxycheq Mach V singles wing, but agree with Lynne, that the Oxycheq customer service would make me look elsewhere. I *really* like both my DSS and Halcyon rigs.

Many will tell you that you can mix and match - and they're absolutely right - but there are advantages to purchasing a "system" such as the DSS or Halcyon. For instance the DSS system will get you solid gear with great support *and* a rig that disassembles in seconds and have nice add-ons such as weight plates if you decide to dive with heavier exposure protection. You can make up something similar, but not as slick and well integrated.

As for regs, there is something to be said for brands where you can get parts and service them yourself if you're a bit of a tinkerer - and meticulous. It is possible to get parts for Scubapro and Apeks regs as well, but not "officially" from the manufacturer.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom