Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiveGirl

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heres a question for y'all...

I get a nitrox fill and I analyze my tank. I've got a mix of 32.6%.

How do you enter this into your computer for the dive - as 32% (err on the side of safety in bottom time) or 33% (err on the side of safety in depth).

Just wondering if I'm the only one that wonders about this?

BTW, I usually round down but make note of the MOD for the higher #

Unless you are pushing the limits it won't make a difference. However, the best way to do it is to calculate your MOD for 33% and put 32% into your computer for Nitrogen loading

thats kind of what I thought!

Thanks! :)

1. Dont use computers or you will die :)

I round down. If you stick to 1.2 you have some leeway on depth anyway.

jviehe once bubbled...
1. Dont use computers or you will die :)

I round down. If you stick to 1.2 you have some leeway on depth anyway.

Are you joking about computer use???

You can use 1.4 for cold/strenous dives and still be within safe diving margins. If you want to pad it by using 1.2 I suppose that's fine too.

Yeah, i was doing my DIR impression :)

I just use 1.2 becuase i tend to run out of air before NDL time. I need a bigger tank

CBalloch once bubbled...

Are you joking about computer use???

No, you should probably log of now...

hurry, before it's too late!

Yes you should around up on the computer but at that 32% you are still diving at around 108'. Up here in the Northwest not much to see at that deapth

Scubaree

scubaree once bubbled...
Yes you should around up on the computer but at that 32% you are still diving at around 108'. Up here in the Northwest not much to see at that deapth

Scubaree
Rounding up makes your computer's decompression calculations less conservative. I generally round down on the O2 percentage.

Some computers do the rounding for you. For instance, with the Suunto computers you enter 32% for anything from 32.0 to 32.9, and the computer will use assume EAN32.0 for calculation N2 loading, and assume EAN33.0 for O2 CNS calculations.

My Oceanic DataPlus just uses whatever you plug in for both O2 and N2. Normally I round down, since it is rare that I get past 50% on the CNS clock, but I will run close to, or slightly into deco before ascending.

YMMV, but read the manual, understand what you are doing, and make an informed choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom