looking for a new bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottweideman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been reading these forums for a long time, I am recently new to scuba however. I am getting my family involved as well. anyways for my questions, I am looking for a bcd that can grow with my kids, a modular system I think it is called, I dont want to spend the money on a kids bcd and then 2 years later have to do it again, and again.... I have been looking at mainly the zeagle express tech deluxe, however it is also the main one I can find, I couldnt find any from scubapro. any help would be greatly appriciated, also it will be mainly in cold water, I live in Idaho.

How old are the kids? If they're young AND small, there may not be anything you can buy that will work for their whole diving lives. But if we are taking teenagers of relatively normal size, I agree that what you want is a backplate system. You can buy small plates which will work for smaller kids, but as adults, they may eventually want a standard size.

I'm with you on the Express Tech standard for reallly small children with the thought in mind to change out the harness later to the Deluxe if they grow and start complaining about the webbing.
The Deluxe harness chest buckle might be down on the ribs on a small person.
The fiber backplate will be well liked compared to a metal backplate which has no give and doesn't conform to the body.
Zeagle's weight system options allow proper on the hip weight placement on different size people. And while I am not a big proponent of rear trim weight systems, they are an add on option as well as weight on the upper chest straps.

thanks for the advice, I don't know why I hadn't thought of the standard express tech. also my kids range in age from 12 down to expecting my first son after 4 daughters. finnaly got one! :D anyways thanks for the advice is there any other bp that would be kid friendly that can grow with the kids?

Back
Top Bottom