Thinking of switching to sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mutiny360

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking of switching to sidemount. I've been diving doubles for over 2 years, and really like it. I dive with a halcyon plate and harness and like the simplicity. I am thinking of switching because of the freedom of movement and I like the positioning of valves vs. on my back. I have a few questions though:

I usually dive dry, how is managing the air inside the suit without the backplate? Also I usually use a small argon bottle, would it just be easiest to butt mount it?

I have 2 large pockets on my drysuit, how much of a hassle is it to get into them with the tanks running down your side?

Thank you

how would managing air be any different? There is still a backplate unless you are using the razor type harness in which case I have no idea... I don't dive that unit dry, only wet...
You can stick that most anywhere, can lights often times get butt mounted, but the argon bottles can still tuck in between the main bottle and you.
Depending on where the pockets are depends on how easy/hard it is. Moving pockets is also not all that difficult, not that pretty usually, but not that hard

Yes, I am looking at razor style harness. Pockets are upper thighs.

I have been thinking of switching to sidemount. I've been diving doubles for over 2 years, and really like it. I dive with a halcyon plate and harness and like the simplicity. I am thinking of switching because of the freedom of movement and I like the positioning of valves vs. on my back. I have a few questions though:

I usually dive dry, how is managing the air inside the suit without the backplate?

It's not much different whether you're in backmount or sidemount. While in sidemount you typically don't have a hard back plate, you still have a harness on.

Also I usually use a small argon bottle, would it just be easiest to butt mount it?

That's how I have my argon bottle rigged.

I have 2 large pockets on my drysuit, how much of a hassle is it to get into them with the tanks running down your side?

Thank you

It's not difficult at all. You just have to push the cylinder up with your arm to get into the pocket.

I am looking at razor style harness.

If you are diving cold water and plan on using steel cylinders, you may want to reconsider. While the Razor is a great system for warm water locales with AL80s, it's not ideal in cold water and with steels.

I am looking the UTD wing which would work with steel tanks, there is enough lift. Thanks for the input about the pockets. That is my biggest concern because I put almost everything in them.

Steve's new BAT wing for the Razor has more lift(45lb) than the UTD Z-Plus(38lb), more than my Halcyon Evolve.

because of the freedom of movement

Sidemounting doesn't gain you anymore freedom of movement,just moves things in other areas,so an area that was previously accessible with backmounted tanks will become less with sidemount,and visa versa. So,how much of hassle is it to get to drysuit pockets on your side,quite a bit difficult compared to what you are doing now. Rob has mentioned moving your cylinders up,but this can be dependent on length of torso vs tank length,in this case sometimes tank removal becomes necessary. Many sidemounters for go using drysuit pockets,and use alternatives. I guess the fallacy of sidemounting is it is like patent medicine that will cure all,but backmount vs sidemount have their own pros and cons that balance each other out,and find each as a tool in my diving arsenal,and with all tools I pick the right one for the job.

Back
Top Bottom