Getting in to Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ottoman Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Galveston,TX During the summers Izmir, Turkey
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been thinking about getting in to Tec diving. I'm fixing to sighn up for NAUI Intro to Tec class when I get back from turkey. However I have heard that the NAUI class is not as in-depth compared to the other classes for Tec diving. I just wanted to get a second opinion from the forum members before I embark on my Tec journey. Any positive and negative comments are appreciated I want to do this as safe and well informed as I can.

My NAUI Intro to Tec was moons ago but it was just as in depth if not more than those I currently see locally from other agencies.
NAUI is an agency that sets a minimum standard for instructors but encourages them to add content. Choose wisely, you may get more or you may receive the minimum.

I'm not aware of the NAUI standards/schedule for the Intro To Tech class, but it can't be far different to the other agencies.

As with many aspects of tech diving, your choice of instructor (rather than agency) is the primary determining factor in the value and success of your course.

I have been thinking about getting in to Tec diving. I'm fixing to sighn up for NAUI Intro to Tec class when I get back from turkey. However I have heard that the NAUI class is not as in-depth compared to the other classes for Tec diving. I just wanted to get a second opinion from the forum members before I embark on my Tec journey. Any positive and negative comments are appreciated I want to do this as safe and well informed as I can.

If the instructor follows standards and knows what they're doing, the class is in-depth and comprehensive. I took most of my Tech classes through NAUI, and found them to be well organized and pretty much on-target with what I was hoping for. But I didn't really select NAUI because of the agency ... I chose an instructor I felt I could learn from and he happened to be teaching NAUI Tech classes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Instructor is far more important than the agency.
Talk to them first and ask all those questions you can think of.
Make sure he/she explains clearly on the course structure and cost. You do not want any hidden charges, do you?
Do not rush out and start buying tec equipment, the instructor should provide most of them FREE(part of the course fee).
A good instructor will never sweet talk you into the course. He/she might even want to dive with you so as to check your basic skill.

Think carefully as the outcome can be very expensive!!!!!

NAUI, as an agency, permits instructors to be as good as they want to be, and have standards as high as they want to hold them. This means you have to do your homework, because there will be superb instructors teaching excellent classes, and people who are not quite as diligent or demanding. For technical diving, you WANT demanding; the stakes go up a lot when you can't surface in the event of a problem, and planning is critical.

I'd highly recommend you buy Steve Lewis's book, The Six Skills, and read it. There is a ton of good food for thought for the aspiring tech diver there. Also watch the 5thD-X YouTube videos. It will give you an idea of what your technical instruction should look like and be able to do.

Thanks for every ones reply the instructor I'm going to be getting the class from has also taught heliotrox to some students of Texas A&M Galveston ( my school ) all of them had nothing but a positive experience and he has never shied away from answering my questions and highly knowledgeable. Thanks to every one I think I'll be doing the wright decision :)

NAUI, as an agency, permits instructors to be as good as they want to be, and have standards as high as they want to hold them. This means you have to do your homework, because there will be superb instructors teaching excellent classes, and people who are not quite as diligent or demanding. For technical diving, you WANT demanding; the stakes go up a lot when you can't surface in the event of a problem, and planning is critical.

Yah I have been told that for tec classes you want a dive nazi to be the instructor that way I will have everything drilled in to my skull in case of an emergency I may have one day under water

Last edited:
Yah I have been told that for tec classes you want a dive nazi to be the instructor that way I will have everything drilled in to my skull in case of an emergency I may have one day under water

First question, where do you what to go at the end of the day? Tech Open circuit Recreational limits or Trimix? Rebreathers? What kind of rebreather? Where are you going to be Tech diving in the world? Who's going to be your dive buddy?

I disagree with the dive nazi as a instructor. Skills can be drilled and still be enjoyed. In my 13 years Tech diving with Divetech in the Cayman Islands I have seen many Tech Instructor Trainers and Tech Instructors and they all make the training challenging and enjoyable.

Helitrox course is a intro course to helium, very similar to a basic Nitrox course. Nothing to brag about. But Heliox, I would never recommend a Heliox dive. That was the only time in my 13 years of Tech diving that fear entered into my dive. In real life your body is never that clear headed. Your body and mind needs some nitrogen. That is a very important skill to learn, is setting your narcosis level for your body because everybody is different.

Divetech has been a pioneer in Tech training since 1994 and NAUI has never been apart of their history. All the technical training agency except NAUI have attended all their CCR events and O.C. Tek events. Even PADI Tech has been apart of Divetech's history. I was open water certified NAUI in 1980 but have been disappointed that NAUI is still at the back door to the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom