Scuba & Tailbone Injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geogator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever had a tailbone (coccyx) injury & still been able to dive? I injured my tailbone last weekend from a fall (slight fracture at the top of the bone) & am scheduled to begin my OW class on Memorial Day weekend. My general practitioner seems to think it may be OK to do class since the pain is managed (via Ibuprofen) & scuba is a low-impact activity. There's really no other treatment but time for this type of injury which usually is 6-8 weeks. I've been waiting since March for my class & the next one isn't until July 9th so I'm naturally crushed/pissed if I can't do it in May. (Not to mention losing half the summer for diving.)

Thanks for any experience you can share with this (or similar type) of injury.

I had the same injury, and your gp is right. Nothing to do but wait around for it to heal. You should be able to do the class, just tell the instructor beforehand so he/she knows what's going on if you start to grimace. Have fun with the class.

Thanks for the input. I got another definitive "OK" from the GP the other day on a followup phone call with the same advice about letting the instructor know ahead of time. It feels much better when taking the 800mg IB but I'll still have to be very gentle doing the seated entry skill from the side of the pool. I also purposely went snorkeling at a spring this past weekend to see how it would feel in the water & it felt pretty good so I'm optimistic about class this weekend. However, my kayak is officially beached for a month & no horses or bicycles for 6 weeks (even if I may think it feels fine to do those things). :( Who'd have thought kayaking would be hazardous to your health? :wink: Stupid boat ramps....

Lately I am suffering tailbone pain because of lifting weights that is too heavy and sitting too long in front of the computer daily and can you advise me some tips because my job was in front of the computer daily to prevent this problem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom