Hunting help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm starting to get into underwater hunting; so far mostly crabbing, but recently going out with a pole spear and I'm now considering a speargun. From my understanding, there are a multitude of options when it comes to gun type, and I'm pretty clueless about the options. I know you can get teak, mahogony, padauk, or metal guns, but I haven't been able to find much about the pros and cons of each.

What I'm really looking for is some advice from someone who has spear fished in the PNW and what works for the fish around here in terms of gun type and size. I'll be doing most of my fishing along the Oregon coast, but may make a trip to open ocean or the sound at some point.

I appreciate any tips/advice you may have.

I am no expert, but I'll throw out a couple of general tips I found useful when I was starting out:
  • Guns are like cameras. Wait until you have the experience to justify it before going for top of the range.
  • Never buy a gun that you are not willing to lose. (Related to another rule - no fish, no matter how big, is worth risking your life for.)
  • Most important of all - do not underestimate the amount of task loading that spearfishing involves.

I am sure more experience hands, and those familiar with the PNW, can add to that provisional list.

Each gun works, a shorter rubber band gun is all ya need, the longer it is a bit much unless out in deep green water.

Like Rhone said, cover your task loading, pneumatic, being able to cock it, or pull bands back, teather to shaft, if string or coil lanyard, to a reel.

And then putting on stringer and set for next fish. watch your air at depth while fighting on some shots.

Have fun and the gear is fun to collect, have spare shaft and tip if spot is a bit away.

Happy Diving

I find the mid-size pneumatic gun - around 26" - to be a good compromise. You could even go shorter. Most of the pneumatics look like they're made in the same one or two factories, so I'm agnostic regarding brand. Rockfish, lingcod, and cabezon are fairly stationary, and often found in holes, so you don't need a long, far-reaching gun - one like that is actually harder to hunt with. In my opinion pneumatics are faster and simpler to load, and very low maintenance. Get one with two power settings - often the shot is close and easy and against the rocks, and a full power shot will just damage your speartip more. The smaller band guns seem to have a stouter shaft typically, which could be an advantage, but as the guns get shorter, the band guns seem to lose power faster. Buy a gun with metric shaft threads (6mm or 7mm), I think you'll find more tip selection (carry several one and two wing small rocktips, don't bother with sliptips for small fish). Don't buy the Mares Cyrano with the skinny shaft. Don't buy shafts or tips that aren't stainless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom