Instructor moving to Siesta Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am an instructor quite happy with my business in the Orlando area but my SO has decided to move out to the Gulf area. We are prob ready to call Siesta Key our home. I know this is not the "dive capital" of the world,but it will do - plenty of tourists, money, time on their hands, etc. I have ideas but I am looking to the locals to provide their input. Are there any pools fit for and allowing scuba instruction? How about places to dive? I know I can do a few shore dives there and if need be I'll put the students on a boat or I could go out toward Avon and do the Lake Denon thing. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

My grandparents had several homes on Siesta Key from the 60s until they moved inland to Pelican Cove where my Mom lives now. My understanding is that the diving there generally requires traveling offshore several miles to get to sites with reasonable visibility and something other than a sandy bottom. To be honest, I've never dived there (or even given it much thought) over the nearly 50 years I've been visiting the area. However, there are a few dive shops in Sarasota and they would be able to give much more reliable information.

With that said, I think Sarasota is a wonderful city... great cultural opportunities and a beautiful place. I'd consider living there myself... if it weren't for serious lightning storms, hurricanes, insects, humidity, etc., etc.

Thank you Drbill. Ive been there a few times and it is indeed all you said it was. The problem with diving there is the vis. As I understand it, most of time the wind blows in from the west clouding the water. But, it still is paradise and I'm sure I'll find some students and I'll find a place to take them. It can't be much worse than diving in the North Atlantic. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the west coast of Florida diving. There are a few dive operations servicing the Gulf; 1) Bluewater Dive Charters out of Sarasota, 2) Tanks a lot dive charters, Clearwater, Fl, 3) Get Wet, Tarpon
Springs, Narcosis Dive Center, Hudson, 4) Two Shea, Clearwater, Fl. I have dove with each operation. All have extremely friendly, knowledgeable boat captains, get boats and welcome dive instructors and their students. Boat rides are a great distance to get any depth, but, talk about fun rides with great dive conversation. My dive buddy and I make frequent trips to Jupiter and Key Largo for Caribbean style diving. Welcome to the west coast of Florida.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom