Dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlm

Reaction score
Does anybody have a clue what is going on w/ these GUE/DIR guys. I have a freind that is going to be open water certified and the shop he is going to is selling him $4000 in equipment that I don't believe he needs.

I'm trying to be open minded, BUT with over 1000 dives in my log, and a resuce diver cert I feel I'm fairly qualified to advise my friend as to his needs

I'm trying to understand the GUE understanding but its seems fairly closed mind/demanding and no one in this area seems to support thier stand other than folks at the LDC.

Thanks CJM

Interesting first post. Methinks I smell a troll.

However, in case I'm wrong, and before commenting:

What are they proposing to sell to him?

Where is he planning to dive?

What are his goals?

I ask because, while $4k would be quite a bit for a Coz commando, it might be about right for a decent Northeast setup that includes a drysuit as part of the rig.

Stop, think and ask

4 grand !!! what are they selling him? Sure this sport can get pricey but 4k straight up sound way too much.

Of course you could easily blow that on a couple of VR3's or as a down payment on a Gavin. But for a starting point it's way to much to pay for a first gear investment.

Please list the equipment suggested.

PS: With over 1000 dives you may have more idea as to what's needed for diving and yes speak up and stop your friend buying stuff he/she doesn't need or need yet.

Not all divers that aspire to dive doubles and mix actually do...

GUE does not have an open water certification class.

I would be questioning the dive shop's motives, not the training agency involved, which is unlikely to be GUE, for the reason pointed out above.

Does your friend have internet access to give the story first-hand?

to make any kind of call here. Yes, a new diver doesn't need that much equipment but if you are a friend and your friend went in going on about your accomplishments maybe they decided he would follow your lead and decided to take advantage of a new diver IMO. Talk to him.

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
to make any kind of call here. Yes, a new diver doesn't need that much equipment but if you are a friend and your friend went in going on about your accomplishments maybe they decided he would follow your lead and decided to take advantage of a new diver IMO. Talk to him.

Let's not jump to conclusions.

It depends on what the diver told the LDS that he wanted and what he is purchasing. In addition, there will undoubtedly be some disagreements regarding what is "required". For example, I see no reason to ever rent tanks unless I'm on vacation. Other divers see no reason to buy them.

We just can't tell until we hear more about the purchase.

Until we know what was said or not said, who knows. We will have to wait and see.

I think your first instinct is correct.
Smells like a troll...

XJae once bubbled...
I think your first instinct is correct.
Smells like a troll...

Its looking more likely. The original poster is still online, yet hasn't revisited the post? And he just happens to choose a hot button topic for his first post?

I'm going to sit back and watch this one develop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom