OMS 32 lb wing. Do i need an STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamP

New
Reaction score
Just picked up a BC116-32B wing by OMS. i noticed it had little rigid tabs next to the bolt holes. Are they there to stabilize the tank? If that is the case, is it necessary to pick up an STA for this setup? Thanks for your thoughts!

The more experienced folks in this group can correct me if I'm wrong - i think you really only need the STA when you are regularly switching between singles and doubles. The tank is sufficiently stable without the STA.

It does seem to make getting the tank on straight slightly easier. But other than that in my extremely limited experience I've found no need for the STA when running only singles.

- Dack

Do you need one? No

Pros: Added weight (if you need it - could move some off your weight belt); added stability of your rig; moves the first stage further away from your head

Cons: Added weight (if you don't need it, or if you travel); decreased stability of your rig/increased tendency to roll (raises your centre of gravity when horizontal); moves the first stage further away from your head (maybe you like getting it in the head for some reason); added cost

It does make switching between singles & doubles easier (because you don't have to unthread the cam bands), but most people end up with dedicated rigs for each application in the long run

Summary: If you need the extra weight, don't travel, have $50 to spare and don't like getting hit in the back of your head, get one. If not, don't

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom