first sidemount dives today ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Pulled into Edd's place this morning to pan-de-mon-ium ... Texas A&M had a class of about 40 kids up here for a cavern class, and they'd descended on Cave Adventurers like a horde of locusts. Not being able to physically fit inside the shop I decided to hang outside and enjoy the show. Rob showed up about 15 minutes later ... we squeezed our way through the kids, filled out some papers, grabbed Edd's Nomad and SMS100 rigs, and headed off to Jackson Blue. After a period of adjustment, Rob had managed to make Edd's rig fit me like a glove ... next time somebody tells me I'm fat I'm gonna point out that I can wear Edd's dive gear ... :D

Anyway, got in the water, figured out where everything was, and Rob had me drop down in the shallows and just hold still for a few minutes while he swam around looking at my trim, how the tanks were situated, tugging a few things, and finally we headed off to the cavern to lay a circuit and do some fun drills.

I gotta say this sidemount stuff agrees with me ... felt pretty comfortable right from the get-go. By now the A&M kids were filling up the cavern and it was starting to look like the inside of Edd's shop ... except with a growing number of lines cris-crossing everywhere. Kinda reminded me of a roadmap of downtown Boston. So after our second circuit, Rob figures I look fit to go a bit inside the cave, so we went for a short swim, turned around and exited. Perfect little warm-up for my first time inside a cave in a year and first time ever in sidemount. We got out, had something to eat, made a few more tweaks to the rig, and went back in. This time we headed into the cave ... Rob leading. Jackson's a beautiful cave ... gotta say, I really liked it. The rig was so comfortable it felt like I'd been diving it a while. We hit turn pressure and I led us out. Once we got back to where Rob had set up the circuit, we spent some time doing valve and OOA drills ... easy-peasy in sidemount.

I'm in love with this rig. Got back to Edd's afterward and became the proud owner of my own spankin' new Nomad XT. Edd and Rob spent the next hour or so "customizing" it for me.

Gonna be putting my doubles gear up for sale next week ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds like fun Bob! I can't wait to dive with you and seeing it in action.

I had a great time diving with you today, Bob! Just wait until we finish the class and just start diving. You're going to love it even more!

It's just amazing how good it feels, isn't it? Like you, after just a short time of futzing around, I felt quite comfortable going into the overhead.

The one thing I'll say is that you should carry your tanks down the stairs at Madison and back up, before you decide to sell your doubles . . .

Congratulations Bob sounds like it went very well.
Starting right is the key and you are in great hands to get that accomplished.
I am with you on the BM but still have mine just for wreck and or need to dives.
Love to carry one tank at a time down Madison stairs really I found that it was a lot easier on my body. knees and back!
Would someone please tell me why I am looking for 108's I must have hit my head somewhere!

Good luck and safe diving this week Bob!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep learning!

Groovy baby.

Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love deeply, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that makes you smile.
Bob.

i'm really glad to hear your sidemount intro has met my expectations. :wink: i'm sold. looks like there will be plenty of doubles gear for sale soon in the Pacific Northwest.

don't sell *all* the dubs, buddy. they might be a good tool for something. hey, are you going to still be there this coming weekend? we're coming in to luraville saturday.

Reactions: Jax
Hey Bob, I know just how you felt. I did one dive with AL 80's and then pulled my steels apart to try them next. The trim in sidemount has to be experienced to be fully understood and appreciated . Have fun with it !!

Back
Top Bottom