Black Skirt Mask vs. Clear Skirt Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDivingNews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been diving with a clear silicone mask skirt since the mid-80s when my old black neoprene skirt mask finally gave up the ghost. The neoprene had deteriorated to the point of leaving a black ring on my face. Like most of the diving world, I found the silicone skirt comfortable, well sealing and long-lasting. I never looked back. Now you can't even find a neoprene mask on the market... Read More

upload_0000Or.jpg

I read your article on the matter. If the mask fits & seals well, then whether it is black or clear skirt is mostly a matter of preference. I started out with a clear skirt as a beginner & transitioned over to a black skirt as I started to go into technical diving. The appearance of one's eyes & skin tone while diving is VERY low on the priority list of importance, to me. I will however, agree that for most people the clear skirt is less "closed in" feeling. I also agree about some problems with glare being an issue. Some do say that it feels like tunnel vision,.... until they try a low volume mask with black skirts. Black skirts tend to focus things more forward & there is less distraction, as you pointed out. As a cave diver, when you have others with bright lights shining this way & that exploring, I don't need any more distractions that necessary, to avoid missing an emergency light signal from someone on my team. For me,a black skirt serves a particular function. As long as the mask works for the user's face, whether black or clear, is simply a matter of preference.

All Black mask is the number one seller in our store! As long as you don't get a claustrophobic feeling when you put it on and it fits you then go with it!

Advantages:
Keeps you more focused
discolors less

Black skirt and frame masks improve vision in low light by increasing contrast. They block light coming into the sides of your eyes which makes it easier to discern subtle differences in shading and it is easier to focus on what is ahead of you. The effect is similar to driving into the sunset, and shielding your eyes with your hand. Another thing to consider is that black masks last longer before they get brittle. The clear silicone yellows pretty quickly. The black silicone doesn't show age or stains as much as the clear can. On the other hand… Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. But If you dive in caves, clear silicone has a slight edge as it may make it slightly easier to pick up reflections from your buddy's dive light etc that could make it easier for you to catch a light signal or indications of a problem slightly sooner. Most knowledgeable divers in the typical diving scene (NON Cave, NON Wreck penetration & day dives)seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

Most knowledgeable divers in the typical diving scene (NON Cave, NON Wreck penetration & day dives)seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

Speak for yourself. I wear black to look more like a Ninja.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom