Trash Collection at the Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My brother collected at least 10 glass bottles at the bridge today... Towards the end of the dive, a photog threw a B**ch fit and made it clear she wanted the bottles back in the sand. I guess not everyone likes to clean up the dive sites and make the area less polluted. The only think I could think of was that the diver was concerned about critters getting trapped in the glass.. It should be known that my brother is very aware of marine life in the bottles and made sure to dump any crabs out before pucking up the trash.

Whats up with picking up trash from the area?

Attachments

• PICT0338.jpg
    PICT0338.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 68
Shcubasteve, the critters at the BHB have done a great job of turning some of those bottles into their new homes, or at least temporarily using the bottles to protect themselves from predators. I've seen several pictures of critters at the bridge using bottles as shelter. Here's a couple of pics I personally took at the bridge which exemplify what I mean:

My vote would be to leave any existing bottles where they are.

or maybe a comprimise (something I don't see often roun' these parts- referring to the collection vs preservation at BHB)?
So anyways, I understand that critters do indeed use those bottles as their homes (ive admired some of those pictures/videos too), however there is a fine line between ''too much of a good thing''. If there was a fresh bottle (still read the label, looking pretty clean, not buried at all in the sand etc) it'd be good to take them. Otherwise, they probably are a home to a critter.

since we're all aware of both sides, maybe we can use our discretion?
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom