Molasses Reef This Past Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I had a very interesting experience at Molasses Reef this past weekend (5-21-11)

We were diving winch hole and I was trying out the new camera setup. So we were coming to the end of the dive and I spot a Green Moray swimming so I took a few pics of him. I noticed he was chasing fish so I figured feeding time? :confused: Then he notices me and starts swimming directly towards me, looking like he's going to bite. I thought this was pretty strange cause I have never witnessed one do this before. So I start swimming away cause he looked pissed off and he starts chasing me! So at this point I began swimming backwards and he chases me up to the surface with my face still in the water looking at him so I wouldn't get bit. After getting some distance from him he backed off, I tried to wave my fin at him attempting to scare him off.

Anyways just wanted to share this cause it's the first time i've encountered anything like it. Here's some pics from my dives, bare with me because camera is still new and i'm learning to use it

5757361500_abb082ebab_b.jpg

5757360120_9778e94256_b.jpg

5756814239_f873c98522_b.jpg

5757358162_fba1677cb1_b.jpg

5756812879_6e6c64ba50_b.jpg

5756811673_f7c16c74c0_b.jpg

5757355282_61a266b52d_b.jpg

5757355048_c5687b3f5e_b.jpg

5757353972_80e7ac4a30_b.jpg

5757352456_f563b7a3b6_b.jpg

Last edited:
never had an eel do that. If that was your first time with the camera, well done! Full body turtle shot is excellent!

What camera are you using?

Great pics, but I would love to see them posted a little larger than 640. How common are Nassau groupers in the Keys? I don't recall seeing many photos of them.

Nice pics especially of the Green Turtle. There is a resident green moray that lives at the winch hole. It has gotten in my face several times. I have also had it wrap around my leg and just hang out. Have never been bitten by it. I do keep my fingers out of range though. ;D

timg

never had an eel do that. If that was your first time with the camera, well done! Full body turtle shot is excellent!

What camera are you using?
Thanks! The Camera is a Canon s95, i'm using ikelite housing with ikelite strobe. I just upgraded from a canon 880is because that one flooded with the canon housing. Pretty good for the first time out but like I said still messing with the settings. I'm sure next time around will be even better.

Dave C

Great pics, but I would love to see them posted a little larger than 640. How common are Nassau groupers in the Keys? I don't recall seeing many photos of them.
Thanks! I edited the post and tried to make them a little bigger. The originals are much much bigger heh. here's a link to the photos you may be able to see them bigger here Molasses Reef 5-21-11
and I'm not sure how common Nassau groupers are in the keys, I was pretty surprised when I came across that one

fisheyeview

Nice pics especially of the Green Turtle. There is a resident green moray that lives at the winch hole. It has gotten in my face several times. I have also had it wrap around my leg and just hang out. Have never been bitten by it. I do keep my fingers out of range though. ;D

Thanks! :D That may have been the same eel, but i'm not sure, the one I saw didnt seem very friendly lol

Nice pix and there are plenty of groupers on our reefs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom