Elite T3 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmartz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, the answer to my question is obvious but I am seeking advice anyway just because I want to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Last weekend I dived at Dutch Springs with my new Elite T3 computer. I did two dives with a dry suit, this will be the 5th and 6th dives with the computer. When I surfaced from each dive, I noted the air pressure remaining and logged the dive and PSI in my book. When I got home, and imported the information from the computer into my laptop, the computer was showing ending PSI about 700 to the NEGATIVE of what the wrist computer was showing... this kind of shocked me... One of the dives I ended with exactly 1000PSI, or so I thought. The computer software is showing me ending that dive with 300PSI... ?????? Which is it? 1000PSI or 300PSI?

The computer is also not holding the correct time. I set it, then a few hours later the internal clock is 20 - 30 minutes behind... I'm guessing this is going to mess up the surface interval / off gassing calculations...

I'm going to return the thing for service, but I was just wondering if anyone has observed this type of behavior with this, or similar wireless computers...

I only recently got the cable to sync up with my computer. I have the other dives in my book, and they also have inconsistent readings. But for now I am just focusing on the last two dives since they are fresh in my mind and I know what I observed on my wrist. I even said to my instructor, "hey, 1000 PSI exactly," after the one dive. Nice round number. Obviously something is amiss... and had we stayed down another 5 minutes... It would have sucked, badly.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

I think it the computer itself, what version of the software are you using and do you purge the system within ten minutes of the dive? Losing time is a big issue also what firmware revision on the dive computer.

The firmware is R2A.

I did change tank after the dive, I don't remember if it was within 10 minutes... I know the book says that it goes into surface mode at 2 feet and if you descend within 10 minutes of that, it continues the previous dive without counting the surface time... are you suggesting that if I change a tank (and purge the system) before 10 minutes has passed, the computer may take the low reading and store that as the ending pressure for the dive?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes it may store that value because it still waiting to see if continuing the dive or it a new dive after the 10 minutes.

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to dive with the computer again since I last noticed the irregularities in May.

I was playing some settings after I made the original post, and it's now keeping the correct time, but only after I changed it to a 12 hour clock. I like to keep my clocks (the ones that give me a choice) in 24 hour format. That seems to have fixed the problem, I just turned it on again after it being off for a while and the time is still correct.

I'm going to buy an analog gauge and attach it to my regulator for now on. My next dive trip is in July. That will determine if I send this thing back, but at least I will know how much air I have with the backup gauge. A couple people on the liveaboard I went on back in April had analog air gauges even though they had air integrated computers. They just like having it... I now understand why. Sometimes technology can be a pain in the ...!

Thanks for your input guys! I'm sorry it's taking long for me to reply, but this forum isn't emailing me right away when replies are made... I just got an email this AM about your reply. Not sure what is up... TECHNOLOGY !

Please see my reply here
And YES. you NEED a SPG even with an air integrated computer, esp a wireless one.

I went with the computer again last weekend and this time I had the SPG attached. The computer and SPG were consistent through the dives. So it must have been a false alarm, but at least I know.

I had the nitrogen loading graph set too conservatively. I kept it out of the yellow, but it was alarming me at 41 minutes no deco. So I will move it midway into the yellow. I didn't know that the graph was so delicate.

As for the internal clock, it seems to be behaving right now.

Back
Top Bottom