THOROUGH advanced open water class Palm beach-key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underthesea81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey fellow FL divers,
In just a few months I'm going to be looking at doing my AOW and vie been talking to a few shops but the impression I'm getting is it's more of a "fun" cert for them getting to do different things, I am looking for a AOW class that is very thorough and one where it's more than read book now do it, I want explanation and technique and help so that I can get the best possible education. Anywhere from palm beach county to Monroe county is fine, actually prefer the key largo area as it's always nice to take a vaca when your so close.
Obviously I'm doing nav and deep which are required, the other three I'm pretty set on is peak buoyancy(a biggie for me) wreck diving, and probably fish ID or Underwater Photo, where if it's a little more in depth the p reference is photo as I'm getting really into that.
Please please help recommend some great shops for my needs
Thanks!

How thorough do you want? PM me for my AOW class outline and you can use that to compare with. Since you are not in PA and doubt you want to fly me down to you. I'd consider going to the Keys and hooking up with Conch Republic and tell them you don't want a tour of advanced dives. Tell them you want new skills and real knowledge. They do a lot of tech stuff and am sure could accommodate you. Perhaps tailor a class that will push you and make you a better diver as well as showing you what advanced diving can be.

I recommend calling around different shops in the Keys and making sure that you will get some real one on one instruction when you sign up. If you get lumped in a class with alot of other divers you'll end up not getting as many specifics on the specialties you picked. Unfortunately, that would be the problem if you wanted to come during the summer which is the busy busy season. One of our instructors (our main advanced instructor) would be happy to answer any questions for you his specialties are wreck diving and underwater videography although he can also do photography. I would say the best way to learn more about each specialty and get the most information are actually the specialty books they have on each subject. If you get those and read them before the course they go far more in depth then just what is mentioned in the AOW manual. Good choice on peak buoyancy, it's such an important skill that so many divers need to imporove on but most shops want people to choose them more "fun" dives. Peak buoyancy will really improve your underwater photography skills as well. Feel free to give me a call at the shop or email me if you have any questions.

One other thought that came to me today. If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale rather than the keys, my bet is you won't be disappointed with the instruction you'd get from the instructors that host the Gold Coast meet up group. Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Again, I've never taken a course from them, but I have talked to several divers who did their Rescue Diver Class with Gold Coast instructors and they were really quite happy. I've met a few of the people on dives and they all seem like a great, friendly and knowledgeable group to me. Gold Coast Scuba » Your Site Name

Thanks Ya'll. I am diggin deeper now and appreciate the insight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom