Nice conditions at Monastery today (5/28/2011)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattaphore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got in two dives today at South Monastery. It was my first time diving Monastery and I did the dive with Fabs and an experienced friend who had TA'ed our OW diving class. We entered in the more-sheltered part of South Monastery with waves breaking about 1-2 feet tall.

It made for an easy entry and fins-off exit. No Monastery Crawl was required!

The vis. was the best I've ever had in my 12-dive history. From the kelp holdfasts we could see all the way to the top of the kelp forest. If I had to guess, I'd say it was above 40 feet. Frog-kicking over a boulder we came across a large grumpy-looking ling cod that had to be at least 3 feet long. We ran into a fellow Scubaboarder who was diving at North Monastery and from what we heard, diving there was great too.

All in all it made for a wonderful diving experience. When I last checked, Swellwatch was predicting rougher conditions moving in, so if you're planning on diving Monastery, be safe :) Hope you all have a happy Memorial Day weekend.

I was at Monastery Sunday. Vis was easily 60+ft (I could _almost_ see the surface from the memorial plaque). Best I've seen it in a long time. Around the corner in Monterey: 5ft. Amazing how much difference there can be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom