Can I convert manifolded doubles to sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can I take off the manifold and replace it with some sort of threaded bolts on each cylinder valve?

The manifold has 200 bar on each side, so the pressure will not affect the threads that much. If I take it off, there's 200 bar on one side only.

I would love to be able to convert between backmount and sidemount, though, for cost savings.

Can I take off the manifold and replace it with some sort of threaded bolts on each cylinder valve?

The manifold has 200 bar on each side, so the pressure will not affect the threads that much. If I take it off, there's 200 bar on one side only.

I would love to be able to convert between backmount and sidemount, though, for cost savings.

You need a pair of "blanking plugs". Check with the manifold manufacturer.

Tobin

Who is your manifold made by? A lot of them have plugs you can install where the isolator screws in.

Dive-Rite manifolds seem to be pretty easy to find plugs for. I have two of the manifolds, but no plugs or plans to split them anytime soon.

Just remember that any time you want to split or reattach you tanks, you are going to have to empty all the gas out of them first.

Edit: Looks like I was a little slow on that one...

It's already been mentioned that you can easily plug them. Most sidemount cylinders in the US just use left and right valves from a manifold set with plugs rather than an isolator bar.

What you need to consider before even attempting this is what manufacturer and size cylinders you have. Not all cylinders are created equally. While your cylinders may be an ideal size and buoyancy characteristic for you in backmount, they may be horrible for sidemount. What cylinders are you currently using and what is your height?

Height 178 cm.

From arm pit to knee: about 69 cm
Cylinder length: 69 cm

Cylinder capacity: 12 litres at 232 bar (commonly used size/capacity)
Cylinder weight (empty, submerged): 1 kg + air (4.5 kg / tank in total; steel)
Drysuit. Lots of lead needed.

Is that cylinder length with or without valve? Also, who manufactured the cylinder? Is the 4.5 kg the negative buoyancy when filled to 232 bar?

Yes, 4.5 kg is the negative buoyancy when filled to 232 bar.
Length is without valve.

Manufacturer would be Eurocylinders System AG (ECS).

I have asked for cylinder offers from two places. Only got one reply thus far.

While your cylinders may be an ideal size and buoyancy characteristic for you in backmount, they may be horrible for sidemount. What cylinders are you currently using and what is your height?

i'm considering splitting up my sets of PST hp100s and Worthington hp100s. i'm 6' tall. i assume these would be ok, but any advice is appreciated.

I found out that there is a shorter + thicker version of the 12/232 cylinder too:

Width 20 cm ( +3cm ) and length 54 cm (15 cm shorter).
This cylinder weighs 1.5 kg more: 6 kg when full.

And I could also get Faber cylinders.

I guess / assume that the best cylinder size has something to do with the position of the cylinder base in relation to the knee and the cylinder weight, and not the width...
I just don't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom