depth and sunshine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mogwai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just had my deepest dive on Monday, went down to 18 metres to look at some structures and accompanying growth and wildlife. Was brilliant, then came up for our surface interval and continued to climb the slope to the shallows. Emerged into shallow water with the sun streaming through the surface lighting up the seaweed and bottom and all the creatures who inhabit it. Unbelievably beautiful. Can't get enough of this diving lark. What a great experience, something different every time.

As you can tell by my location, there ain't many reefs in comfortable driving distance. But I get a kick diving in quarries with hokey "wrecks," I even have a good time diving in the pool. There being no cell phone service there is just a bonus! Glad you're enjoying it. I'm chuffed for you! :D

nice to see your picking up the lingo bluefish. Nice one.

My favorite time to dive is around noon. On a clear day, the sunbeams will stream down into the water several fathoms. And from below, looking up through the giant kelp, the sunbursts underwater are awe inspiring.

You can normally have pretty good lighting around noon down to about 15 or 20 metres.

Deeper than that, the water tends to take on a glow. The glow is primarily greenish, until it turns to bluish, and finally violet, and ultimately dark gray shadows. The higher the sun in the sky, the deeper you will be able to see.

am told the water will get much clearer as the winter comes in. CAn be a a bit on the green side at the moment, but the cooler it gets the better the viz. Can expect 15 to 20 metres i have been told.

Some photos my instructor took can be found here.

http://www.central-scuba.co.uk/

the ones from loch long came from my last dive with him. The conger eel, swimmer crab and edible crab we found on the day i mentioned coming up into the sunshine. Great day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom