DS 160 stobe not firing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I have an Ikelite #6812.7 housing for a Nikon D700 and an Ikelite DS 160 stobe. They have been working great up until recently, where the strobe would stop firing intermittently. I originally thought it was a faulty or damaged sync cord however after purchasing a brand new one the problem persists.

It appears to be random, my Flash Unit icon flashes and my camera will not fire when the strobe is switched on. As soon as I switch the strobe off, the flashing icon stops and I can take a picture. I have tried switching between TTL and manual as well as turning the strobe and camera on and off. No luck.

My Nikon manual says the flashing flash icon is a signal that my flash is not compatible to TTL?!? Nikon.JPG

This problem mostly occurs in the water and I have noticed it starts to malfunction when it miss focuses on something.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michelle

Michelle,

Sorry to hear of your problem. Since you eliminated a problem with the sync cord, the most likely culprit is a bad connection somewhere on the housing end. I recommend sending at least the housing back in for the necessary repairs. If you'd like to send the strobe and cord in at the same time we can check them together as a complete system and make sure everything is in full working order.

Instructions on returning items for repair can be found here:
IKELITE FAQ Service & Repairs

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Hi Ikelite guys,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will send the backplate to you guys for testing but I would like to know if I ship it to you do you ship it back and would it be possible to ship it priority?

Thanks again.

Michelle

Warranty repairs are shipped at our cost by our standard method of shipping to the end location. Special requests for shipping methods can certainly be made. If they are different from our standard method of shipping additional charges may apply.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Hi Ikelite

So after trawling through forums all night and day I came across a post that suggests insulation one of the contacts so that the strobe operates in manual mode only. I did this and it works but only once. The strobe fires once the I need to switch the strobe off then one and it will fire again. I was hoping this may shed some light on the problem.

Thanks

Michelle

Unfortunately that behavior could point to either a strobe or a housing problem. If you are able to send both strobe and housing back in we'll get everything back to full operation right away!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom