Best shallow reefs for snorkeling in the keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm looking to book a keys trip over the summer. It will be a few family's and we would like to get a couple of villas. I was looking at Hawk's Cay which has some decent prices. I was maybe going to get one dive in myself, but the rest of the group including the kids (ages 6-12) are all non divers and will be snorkeling. Does anyone have any experience at Hawks Cay or can recommend any better places to stay for this kind of trip?

Looking for shallow reefs for the kids, a place to put a boat in the water and non-marine sanctuary. Would also like a decent place to stay (condo or hotel, not campground).

Thanks,

Greg

Over the years we have stayed at several places, never at Hawk's Cay though. We have stayed at Pines and Palms and Breezy Palms, both in Islamorada. They are pretty typical old Florida places, which we like. Pines and Palms has done some updating. Haven't been to Breezy in a few years. Both have ramps for boats....not the greatest but we have a 22' fishing boat that we launched there. Pines and Palms ramp is the worst of the 2. When going there we launch at the public ramp and then motor to the hotel.

We have also stayed at 2 different condos. One on lower Matecumbe and one just north of Marathon. Both were nice. Found both on VRBO.com

As for snorkeling....we like Islamorada cause there are several sites pretty close: Alligator lighthouse, hens and chickens, cheeca rocks. In Marathon there is Sombrero reef. Haven't been there yet but plan to go this time. We will have snorkelers and divers on that trip.

If you're planning on booking a house or condo you may want to do it. The nicer ones tend to get booked quickly.

Oh, and one more thing. If you stay in Islamorada or Key Largo you have to see Molasses Reef. It's a bit of a boat ride from Islamorada but one of the prettiest reefs I've seen. We dove it a couple of years ago (and will be again next week) but there were snorkelers on the trip. They all loved it.

Hi Greg,

As a Keys resident and avid diver I can say that Duck Key diving is great. Most of their dive sites range between 20-30 ft. Duck Key is perfect for both snorkeling and scuba. Dive Duck Key is a dive shop located in the Hawks Cay Marina. Dive Duck Key offers SNUBA. Dive Duck Key is one of only three authorized SNUBA® (Surface Nexus Underwater Breathing Apparatus) operators in the continental United States, offering a unique diving experience for beginners that provides all the thrills of scuba diving, but without having to be certified to dive.

This exciting family-friendly Florida diving adventure lets you and the kids (ages 8 and up) explore ocean depths up to 20 feet while attached to an air line that is connected to a floating SNUBA® oxygen supply tank. The air line allows you to freely explore the reef without having to wear heavy scuba diving equipment.

Before entering the water, a 20-minute SNUBA® orientation will cover underwater communication, general safety, and how to breathe correctly with the regulator. One of their professionally-trained SNUBA® guides will accompany you on your dive to make certain you have a safe and enjoyable Florida Keys SNUBA® experience. Dive Duck Key | Florida Keys Scuba Diving Florida Keys Diving at Hawks Cay Resort

While jenlaur is right about the sites in the Upper Keys, the one thing he didnt mention is how crowded those marine sanctuaries are in the summer. The dive and snorkel sites that Dive Duck Key frequents are not marked on a map for every tourist with a rental boat to find. If you go out on their boat, you are guaranteed to snorkel (hopefully SNUBA) beautiful reefs without the crowds! The reefs are in great shape too because they dont get so much pressure from constant divers.

I used to work on a fishing boat at Hawks Cay Marina. They have beautiful villas for your family to stay in and a decent boat ramp to launch your boat. Here is the link to their website- Florida Keys Rooms & Villas - Hawks Cay Resort. One of the best features of Hawks Cay Resort is how much they strive to accommodate families and meet the needs of everyone in the family.

Hmmm. . . I'm always on the lookout for places to dive "shallow" so as to maximize bottom time.

Downsides have been parking issues at the shore diving spots (and, sometimes, longish swims) and limitations on bottom time by the few boats that I've been on that go to shallow sites (Miami and Key Biscayne National Park).

This sounds interesting. It's got me wondering about boat rentals in that area, and just how "secret" are the shallow reef locations. :D I checked out the Hawk's Cay website and now I'm most interested. Got any more info - especially in regards to maximizing bottom time down yonder?? TIA

Kevin
Savannah

Hi Greg,

As a Keys resident and avid diver I can say that Duck Key diving is great. Most of their dive sites range between 20-30 ft. Duck Key is perfect for both snorkeling and scuba. Dive Duck Key is a dive shop located in the Hawks Cay Marina. Dive Duck Key offers SNUBA. Dive Duck Key is one of only three authorized SNUBA® (Surface Nexus Underwater Breathing Apparatus) operators in the continental United States, offering a unique diving experience for beginners that provides all the thrills of scuba diving, but without having to be certified to dive.

This exciting family-friendly Florida diving adventure lets you and the kids (ages 8 and up) explore ocean depths up to 20 feet while attached to an air line that is connected to a floating SNUBA® oxygen supply tank. The air line allows you to freely explore the reef without having to wear heavy scuba diving equipment.

Before entering the water, a 20-minute SNUBA® orientation will cover underwater communication, general safety, and how to breathe correctly with the regulator. One of their professionally-trained SNUBA® guides will accompany you on your dive to make certain you have a safe and enjoyable Florida Keys SNUBA® experience. Dive Duck Key | Florida Keys Scuba Diving Florida Keys Diving at Hawks Cay Resort

While jenlaur is right about the sites in the Upper Keys, the one thing he didnt mention is how crowded those marine sanctuaries are in the summer. The dive and snorkel sites that Dive Duck Key frequents are not marked on a map for every tourist with a rental boat to find. If you go out on their boat, you are guaranteed to snorkel (hopefully SNUBA) beautiful reefs without the crowds! The reefs are in great shape too because they dont get so much pressure from constant divers.

I used to work on a fishing boat at Hawks Cay Marina. They have beautiful villas for your family to stay in and a decent boat ramp to launch your boat. Here is the link to their website- Florida Keys Rooms & Villas - Hawks Cay Resort. One of the best features of Hawks Cay Resort is how much they strive to accommodate families and meet the needs of everyone in the family.

Hmmm. . . I'm always on the lookout for places to dive "shallow" so as to maximize bottom time.

Downsides have been parking issues at the shore diving spots (and, sometimes, longish swims) and limitations on bottom time by the few boats that I've been on that go to shallow sites (Miami and Key Biscayne National Park).

This sounds interesting. It's got me wondering about boat rentals in that area, and just how "secret" are the shallow reef locations. :D I checked out the Hawk's Cay website and now I'm most interested. Got any more info - especially in regards to maximizing bottom time down yonder?? TIA

Kevin
Savannah

When are you heading down? We leave Saturday and can't wait.....
Lynn (Savannah)

Every chance I get. :D Just got back yesterday from BHB.

I need to go down and do that dive...let us know sometimes when you head down...do you go alone or with your wife?

To the OP....one place that doesn't really get a lot of mention is the Big Pine area. I went on a trip with Looe Key Reef Resort and Dive Center two years back Florida Keys scuba diving dive training charter boats,Looe Keys Dive Center Florida scuba,scuba diving dive training Florida Keys,dives boat charters scuba diving Florida keys,Vandenberg Busch wrecks and had a pretty good time! I went with them on Wednesday which is when they go out to the Adolphus Busch and two reefs (3 tank dive if you will) and it was great... from a purely diving standpoint, they have a "cattle boat" with is laden with snorkelers as well and it's a tad crowded at times...(but I couldn't find an op that consistently went to the Busch) But to their credit, they DO attempt to segregate the divers and snorkelers pretty well) From a snorkelers standpoint, they take you to VERY nice shallow reefs! (If you go on Wednesday, you get to sit out the first stop at the wreck, which is in about 110' before you go to the reefs) They also have lunch available on board.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom