Large volume cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gathan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I currently use worthington HP 100s as primaries. I'd like to get larger cylinders that I could use for trimix and/or long duration dives.

I've already played with loaned Faber HP120s. The added length was not an issue (trimmed out OK) although not as comfy as the 100s. Those Fabers are very heavy, at roughly 16lbs each when full.

Right now I'm eyeballing either worthington 130s or Faber 149s. Does anyone here have experience with these, in particular the 149s?

Andre

I'm planning to use the 119's I'd been using backmount for deeper tech dives. They're the same size as the 95's I used in class, and roughly the same buoyancy characteristics. If I need more gas than that, seems that a stage would be the way to go ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used Worthington HP130s SM for awhile. They were a bit finiky trimming out, when full, and diving a wetsuit. Also damned heavy.

I doubt they'd be much issue with a drysuit.

No problems with LP95s and LP108 either wet or dry.

My body type is likely not yours, so your mileage may vary at any rate... as will everyone elses.

Those 119s are a nice size for sure. I'm trying to keep things simple and that means 2 primaries + 2 deco gas cylinders. Anymore, such as the addition of a stage, and things start to get bothersome.

I've done many dives with up to 2 stages + 2 deco gas cylinders while on BM, but I feel this is not as manageable in SM - my opinion. I'd prefer 2 large hunkin' primaries + 2 80s (deco) maximum for those kind of dives. I'm quite confident that using 130s is fine, however those faber 149s have significantly different size & buoyancy characteristics and was hoping to find out if someone had experience with them.

I dive 100's and 120's. No experience with faber's 149's, but i'd be hesitant since they float when they're empty... Not as bad as an AL80, but 2.5lbs is still that much more lead i'd need. The 130's are still 12lbs empty and that much heavier than the 120's and only 2 inches shorter... The Faber FX 120's are only 8lbs heavy when full which isn't bad. You may be using the "hp 120's" from faber which are their mid pressure obnoxious tanks. Try the PST's if you can, they're 10 ish lbs negative and an inch shorter than the fabers

I've used the LP Faber 120s for quite awhile for working dives. They are really great tanks in the water because they are fairly bouyant. The downside is they are very heavy to get to the water,and add drag to your profile.

I have used the 149's to dive for years. They certainly aren't the tank for everybody, but they definitely have there place. The biggest downside to them is weight. Not are they heavy as can be (when you are on a rolling deck with doubles on your back it is a bear to move around) but it is compounded by the fact you need to wear so much weight with them as well. You need to start a dive 24 pounds heavy in order to be neutral at the end of a dive. That is because the difference in doubles between empty and full is just under 24 pounds of buoyancy. I never have a problem of getting down from the surface at the beginning of a dive because of this. The fact that you have to go in so heavy also means you need a higher capacity BC to support you when you are that over-weighted in the beginning of a dive.
Another issue to consider is getting on board the boat with them. Between the weight of the tanks out of the water (100 pounds) and the 24 pounds of extra weight it feels like trying to climb the ladder with your dive buddy hitching a piggy back ride. In rough seas especially that can be a challenge, especially on boats that don't have real hand rails. I actually ripped off the light-weigh hand holds on one dive boat, I ended up having to take the tanks off in the water and board.
Now, if the size isn't an issue, and the weight isn't an issue, and you need, or want, that much gas these are fantastic tanks. I can take three tanks with me (I dive independent doubles) and do two full dives where most people have to lug two sets of doubles. Like most other aspects of diving, it is a really personal decision and because it is not the norm you will certainly get some heated opinions about it. I have gotten some people that have been rather insulting about them, but thankfully they don't have to dive with them. They aren't my only tanks as they aren't fit for all kinds of diving or all dives, but for deeper or longer dives where I don't have to walk far when am suited up, they are awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom