Catalina vs luxfer al. 40, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSchoular

Registered
Reaction score
So I believe I already know the answer to this question, but here goes. I'm looking at purchasing a 40 to use as a stage bottle. I currently work at a dive shop and can get a Catalina 40 for $200, my question is is it worth it to pay an extra 80-100 for a luxfer from a different shop? I've heard bad.things about catalina's buoyancy characteristics So is it worth it to pay thee extra for the luxfer? I would like to get this right the first time :p

i've never used a catalina 40. but the 80s are heavier.
with a 40 i would imagine it doesn't matter too much

So I believe I already know the answer to this question, but here goes. I'm looking at purchasing a 40 to use as a stage bottle. I currently work at a dive shop and can get a Catalina 40 for $200, my question is is it worth it to pay an extra 80-100 for a luxfer from a different shop? I've heard bad.things about catalina's buoyancy characteristics So is it worth it to pay thee extra for the luxfer? I would like to get this right the first time :p

The luxfer gets more buoyant when low, and that cat is slightly more negative when full. I presume this is for a deco bottle and should be easily manageable either way.

If you are in the US, the $200 is not a deal and you should be able to easily find either tank for less, so price should not be a concern there. I checked a couple of places and see the Luxfer only selling for +10 on the Cat. None of those places had either tank for $200 or more.

Having said all that, I would by from the shop I work at. Maybe that is just me though :wink:

i've never used a catalina 40. but the 80s are heavier.
with a 40 i would imagine it doesn't matter too much

The Cat 40 weighs about .9 more, but also does not go buoyant when empty (according to the tables online)

I'm up in Ontario in Canada, the $200 would include my discount and taxes. It also comes with convertible din/yoke valve, i would rather buy from my shop...

I can get a Catalina for $134. I would suggest that you look on line and save yourself $66. I would also suggest you find another shop to work in.

Last fall I did two dives the same day and used a borrowed Luxfer 40 on the first dive and on the second dive I used my cat. 40. Sense that day I have been trying to find someone to buy my cat 40 off me so I cam purchase a Luxfer 40. The Luxfer floats but high so it is always up under your arm and not always dangling down low. To me the cat. 40 feels as large as slinging an 80 and the Luxfur ypu don't even know it is there.

MSchoular...I hear you. I bought a Luxfer 40 (and a luxfer 80) to be used as stage bottles probably at the ''different shop'' you are referring to. However, not having the luxury to work at a dive shop hence unable to get free refills, I went for the next best thing...buy the tanks with 232 valves at a place offering me an equivalent amount of free fills of either air or EAN 32 matching my purchase. So in fact it was just like I purchased X amount of fills and receive a free Luxfer 40 and 80 with valves as bonus in the process.

Last edited:
I dove off the NC coast over the weekend and slung one AL40 (Catalinas) under each arm and couldn't notice any buoyancy change. I could tell I was a bit more negative in the beginning of the dive however, It was not an issue and went smooth. I wish clipping them on my buttplate and d-ring was easier on a rocking boat :)

In canada $200 is the going rate for a Catalina 40. That is what we paid for ours. You could buy one from the states, but with shipping and duty I would bet they come out to about the same.

You should check out scubageek.ca, they are local (to you) and do local pick-ups... unless that is the store you mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom