CQR clip break

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently bought a Sherwood AVID BCD and found that one of the plastic clips on the weight pocket is cracked (pic attached, note the crack is on the upper arm, proximal to the screw head). I'd like to just replace that one piece, but I can't find the clips for purchase alone ( only a $40 weight pocket, instead of a $2 plastic part ). Can I find the male plastic clip by itself for purchase? Seems a little shorted sighted to design it so something like that can't be replaced.
AVID_CQR1.jpgAVID_CQR2.jpg

The clip is integrated into the pocket so when it is pulled to release, it works and does not separate. Sorry, but we do not sell just the buckle itself only the pocket.
Safe diving,
Team Sherwood

Thanks for your reply. Actually the photo shows the pull handle is attached to the clip using a small screw with a lock nut on the back ( so not totally integrated...). I think a better design for the consumer would consist of a removable clip ( not a difficult task ) and maybe a clip that is a little more durable (maybe another millimeter in thickness on that arm). When the design leads to having to buy an entire $40 pocket rather than having a $2 part changed out it seems like a real waste of resources (and my money). I noticed the CQR-2 design doesn't seem to make any improvement in this regard either. Just a little friendly consumer feedback.

Finished our dive trip around the Bimini Islands and my fix using a paper clip, epoxy and some heavy duty thread worked great. Note to self, Sherwood and Suunto are off my list of products for future purchases...Red line shows how paper clip was bent to contour inside the plastic through 2 drilled holes. avid_clipfix2.jpg

Thanks for the idea how to fix this. I had exactly the same problem with my Avid BCD. When I saw the screw,I thought "Great, the breakable plastic part is replaceable". Oh no - the part is sewn in to the pocket and so the only "official" solution is a $50 pocket (and probably +$40 shipping since I am in Canada). I used some galvanized wire, a bit easier to bend than a paper clip, and I also modified your method. I figured that the other side of the buckle will break sometime and so why not reinforce both sides at once? So I undid the screw and carefully drilled 3 holes, each 1/16" diameter (shown green) in the plastic and bent the wire (shown red) around both arms. I then used your brilliant idea of thread (actually 40lb braided fishing line) and epoxy (3M 2216) to secure the whole repair. Voila - as good as (probably better than) new.
CQR clip fix.jpg
I'm posting this in the hope that others will find it and save themselves some money.

Keywords: broken CQR clip, Sherwood Avid BCD repair; weight pocket repair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom