Maldives in second half of August - where to go? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstarovic

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a slightly convoluted question and I'd be grateful for any help from all of you Maldives experts out there!

We have flights booked for the Maldives in the second half of August this year but haven't done anything about finding a resort. Not sure which 'side' is better at that time of year - north or south/east or west, bearing in mind the monsoon. So that's the first question.

But - I am a bit of a fair weather diver, unlike my husband, so we want somewhere where I could do some easy stuff (and hopefully see a manta still!) but with an option of doing more challenging dives. I am not a total novice, and I do have 50+ dives, but I'm just not as adventurous as my other half. I am also not hugely keen on choppy seas and huge swells!

Ideally, we would want a nice resort where there are other things to do - a bit of table tennis or cycling maybe, just in case the weather is bad. Also, I assume we're better off with an all-inclusive?

That's about it. Any help/advice would be much appreciated. There are just too many resorts out there and I don't know where to start!

thanks a lot,

Danka

best chance for mantas in august is in Baa Atoll. tend to have lots at Hani Faru with a chance to see a whale shark as well. i was in Baa last August and we saw mantas on almost every dive/dive site we did in Baa. but mantas tend to be seen all over Maldives. normally west side will be more exposed to winds at that time but will have better viz. east side should be calmer, with lower viz but better manta sightings. Baa Atoll has some nice dive sites apart from the mantas. but i think for a better diversity of sites Ari Atoll is better. only resort i have been to (visited and not stayed on) in Baa is Four Seasons. super place but i think cottages start around $800/night :) Sonevafushi is located close to some good dive sites. there was one very close to Hani Faru but i dont recall the name. dont know about resort quality but there are lots of good dive sites close by including some just 5 mins boat ride away.

If you decide to go Baa Atoll,
REETHI BEACH RESORT could be a good choice.

@sea

I agree with Nishan, if you want to see Mantas in August go to Baa Atoll. Reethi Beach Resort is a good place to stay. The dive operation is 'Sea Explorer' which is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom