Diving in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are thinking about going to Key Largo around Thanksgiving for some diving. We've never dived in the Keys and wonder if there's enough to do and see for about four days of diving. All of our dive trips have been to Mexico (PV, Cancun and Coz) so we're looking to find new diving areas a bit closer to home. Any information fellow divers can give me regarding sites, dive shops, things to do, etc. in Key Largo would be great. Thanks!

Yes there is PLENTY of dives to keep you busy....
Check out Key Largo Scuba Shack... we will be diving with them later this month and have heard great things.
6 pack boats and a DM on all dives... they have more than accomadating with us about our schedules...
You will love it there. Lots of wrecks and reefs....
Yeah we decided to stay closer to home this summer as airfare is crazy..... it has been five years since we were there but we are excited to go back....
Have fun

I just did a long weekend in Key Largo, thirteen dives in three days with Amoray. Had an excellent time and a great mix of reefs and wrecks. I like the diving down there, and it is a nice quick trip.

Just finished up my OW certification in Key Largo in May. My buddy and I dove with two different shops - Scubadoo and Conch Republic. Two different boat experiences

- Scubadoo has max of 10 divers on their boat.
- Conch Republic, we were on their larger boat (not sure max capacity, but definitely more than 10)

Would recommend both.

We stay at the Holiday Inn (got it thru priceline) in Key Largo. It's right next to a very large "Divers Direct" store - which could be bad news for credit cards. Only down side here was that our room was on the second floor and there were no elevators. (If you do decide to shop at Divers Direct, be sure to look for Florida Keys travel/tourist brochures. We found a $15 off coupon that was put to use.)

After several days of diving, we drove on down to Key West to explore for a day or so before our flights home.

With all the reefs and wrecks in the area, I'm sure you'd find plenty to see - Enjoy!

There will be plenty of wonderful dive spots to choose that will definitely keep you busy for 4 days. We have a variety of shallow wrecks and reefs and some amazing deep wrecks too. November will be a very nice time to come down, it won't be nearly as hot and you should miss most of the tourist crowd. I would be happy to answer any other questions that you have about diving in Key Largo and recommending places to stay as well. We take a max of 6 divers on each trip and offer a free guide on every dive. Good luck!
Kim

We just got back from the keys and there is plenty of diving to do! We stayed at the Marriott Resort in key largo and we had a great experience. I particularly liked the on site dive shop/dive boat "pirate island divers ". We missed the memorial day rush and never had more than 8 divers on the boat at a time. There was no need to travel to the boat, it was within walking distance from our room, very convenient. The reefs and wrecks that we dove were shallow, less than 50 fsw.
After diving we explored the keys all the way to key west. There's plenty to see. Can't wait for the next trip.

Thanks for the info. I'd love to hear about your trip once you get back!

Thanks for the information. ScubaShack is one dive shop that keeps coming up, so you're definitely on my list of places to check out. I really like the fact that you only take a max of 6 divers on each trip. It sounds like lots of personal attention!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom