Need some suggestions on starting a dive club.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoneWolf

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a recently certified AOW diver and love SCUBA with a passion. I also have just started working at the American Embassy in Mexico City. I have been looking for a SCUBA club to join in the city to go on scuba weekend trips. We get American and Mexican holidays off so we have plenty of three day weekends. So far I have only found a couple small ones but no one speaks English. I do speak some spanish and I am learning more everyday but on a scuba trip I don't want to stress over communication. I was hoping an Embassy of almost 1,000 people would have one but NOPE. So I figured, what the heck, why not start one myself. Are any of you in SCUBA clubs and do you have any suggestions over how I should go about this. I don't want to get in over my head....at least until the dive :)

My friend, I have exactly the same problem here in SK. I just get used to speaking in severely broken sentences and being the only foreigner in the group. However, I've found that through attrition, you'll meet up with people. Just keep diving.

I don't have a formal club but I do dive with regulars like me. We just end up going with a korean club so we are kind of like a subgroup within the larger one. I've met these guys by chance and we keep in touch via email. One lets the other know when he hears of a dive trip planned.

I know this isn't much help but just wanted you to know there are others out there like you. :D

Good luck.

Call your local YMCA and ask for the Aquatic Director. Ask if they would like to collaborate in creating a club. It is especially helpful if the Y teaches SCUBA. We have a club at our Y...Y-Divers. The club pays $350 in dues to the Y and in exchange uses the conference room for one-hour and the pool for one-hour every other Monday, September-March.
Other than that maybe ask around local dive shops

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom