Sidemount diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lolleke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
The reason that I made this thread is because I have backpain problems. For this I'm looking around what is possible in sidemountdiving. I want a system that is suitable for sidemount as backmount. I'm a coldwater and drysuit diver.
I know that there are some systems on the market:
- hollis sms 100
- UTD
- Dive Rite Nomad
- OxyCheq.

Some brands are using adjustable harnesses. What would be my size? I'm 1.63m and 80 kg.

I use a backplate. Is it possible to use my own backplate?

To get under, I need some lead. Now I use a leadharness but is it possible to integrate the lead in the system?

In rear moments I want to dive with a single tank on my back. Do I need a tankadapter because I have this.

Many tanks for the quick response.

Since you have not gotten any feedback, i would like to offer suggestion from the Hollis side.

You mentioned your height and weight. We offer 3 sizes, sm/md being the smallest of the three. This would be the appropriate size for YOU.

Adding ballast when in sidemount is a bit different. Backplate is not typically suggested; Instead a weight belt or weights threaded onto the harness. Tank choice plays an important role in this decision also.

If you require the option to both backmount and sidemount, the SMS100 is designed to accomodate both. This includes a single tank on the back and without a single tank adapter.

Hope this helps.

I want a system that is suitable for sidemount as backmount. I'm a coldwater and drysuit diver.
Nick has noted that you can use a Hollis unit for SM as well as BM. You can also do that with a Nomad, although you want a modular Nomad (original model or an XT, not the EXP or JT), not one with the buttplate permanently attached. I dive a Nomad for SM, in a drysuit, in cold water, and I love it. I don't use it for single tank BM diving, nor do I use it for double tank BM, although I could. I already have backplates that I prefer for both uses.
Some brands are using adjustable harnesses. What would be my size? I'm 1.63m and 80 kg.
For the Nomad there are some sizing charts available - try Dive Gear Express )Nomad BC System by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express). Based on your height and weight, you will probably want a Large.
I use a backplate. Is it possible to use my own backplate?
Yes. One option is to use an OMS Profile, which fits over the wing and bacjkplate, and provides a buttplate. Opinions on the Profile are mixed, and not everyone likes it. I have one which I use with a SS backplate and a Dive Rite Rec Wing for open water SM configuration, and I like it. But, you have to do some 'tweaking' on the wing, to keep it from tacoing. One nice feature of the Nomad is that tabs are sewn into the casing at both lower corners, which then attach to the waist strap. If you use a wing without those tabs you have to find a way to connect the casing to the waist strap - not difficult to do, just something to keep in mind if you work with your existing BP.
To get under, I need some lead. Now I use a leadharness but is it possible to integrate the lead in the system?
Yes, although it also depends on the amount of lead you need.A disadvantage (from my perspective) of the Nomad is that the Transpac harness is already somewhat positively buoyant, so even with steel tanks, I need to add weight with my drysuit and thick undergarments. I just use a belt, however. People add weight to Nomads in a variety of ways - on the shoulder straps, or attached to the back of the harness with tie-wraps, for example. I use cambands for the bottom attachments points on my tank, instead of stage bottle rigging, and I put some weight in weight pockets on the cam bands when I dive AL80s SM, as an example.
In rear moments I want to dive with a single tank on my back. Do I need a tankadapter because I have this.
Not with the Nomad (which is basically a Transpac harness).

There is a lot of 'do it yourself' associated with configuring a SM rig that meets YOUR needs. If at all possible, it would be best to fins some SM divers local to you and speak to them / dive with them to see how they have configured their rigs.We can offer comment from afar, whether you are in the US, or EU (or elsewhere) but ultimately you will be best served by finding local resources to help you set up a functional rig.

Back
Top Bottom